Winery Cellar Technician
POSITION SUMMARY: Demonstrates Craftsperson-level Winery Cellar technical skills, knowledge, and capability; consistently exercises sound judgment. Respects co-workers, equipment and the wines. Possesses solid, positive personal and team leadership skills. Meets all requirements for General and Skilled Cellar positions. Knows the What, Why, how of cellar tasks and can effectively train others.
- Is as a role model in the Cellar and informal leader to peers. Establishes trusted and positive relationships with co-workers.
- Is willing and able to share expertise with others.
- Key resource for training existing staff, new hires, seasonal employees; contributes to creation of cellar SOPs.
- Communicates well with coworkers; can speak confidently in front of a group.
- Is organized with attention to details.
- Plans and prioritizes work at request of Cellarmaster; can estimate duration of an assignment or specialized projects.
- Focuses on efficient, quality processes.
- Demonstrates good attendance, work ethic, responsibility, understands and follows company guidelines / policies.
- Operates complex winery equipment and machinery, such as, press programming, cross flow and centrifuge operations.
- Strong knowledge and adherence to company safety regulations related to employee, equipment and chemicals with the ability to train staff on same.
- Diagnoses basic equipment breakdowns, provide basic repairs and communicates timely updates to cellar management of problems and resolutions.
- Clearly understands the flow of grapes, juice and wine throughout the facility.
- Understands, explains, trains on work orders related to winemaking from initial review to BIMs input.
- Using solid math skills, calculates basic wine adds (S02, acids, bentonite, etc.)
- Has educated wine palate - can detect VA, Brett, film yeast, TCA, high SO2, etc.
- Carries out special projects requiring cellar expertise. Covers a variety of winery needs including winemaking trials, new equipment research and implementations, environmental initiatives.
- May be temporarily assigned from time to time to other wineries for special projects.
REPORTING TO: Cellarmaster
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
- Demonstrates character traits of respect, ethical conduct, and good judgment.
- Actively supports company values.
- Has acquired broad cellar technical knowledge; can perform high level cellar technical skills in a variety of winery settings.
- Possesses solid understanding and fluency in basic math skills and calculations.
- Possesses effective, positive communication skills with employees at all levels of cellar expertise.
- Understands basic press, filtration, hydrodynamics theory
- Possesses basic computer knowledge (Excel, Word, BIMS, Web)
- Possesses High School Diploma or GED and minimum 5+ year’s prior, relevant cellar experience.