JACKSON FAMILY WINES VINEYARDS
POSITION TITLE: Vineyard Supervisor
LOCATION: All Locations
REPORTS TO: Vineyard Manager
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Vineyard Manager or Assistant Vineyard Manager, supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in planting, cultivating and harvesting grapes.
• Responsible for the planning, direction, management, coordination of work assignments for Foremen, Irrigators, Equipment Operators and Tractor Drivers as delegated by Vineyard Manager.
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies and applicable laws and keeps the Vineyard Manager and/or Assistant Vineyard Manager informed on all labor, production, equipment issues as they arise
Assigns duties such as planting, pruning, canopy management, trellis and irrigation installation, cultural practices and harvesting and oversees work activities
• Updates and checks in with manager throughout the day to ensure that daily production of farming tasks is being completed on time and in accordance with budgeted allocations.
• Analyzes and resolves work problems or assists workers in solving work problems
• Trains employees in vineyard practices, procedures and work processes
• Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to work required schedules assigned to supervisory personnel.
• PMP: provides input and administers annual employee evaluations with Vineyard Manager.
• Capable of effectively interacting with FLC contractors. May give direction to FLC Supervisors relative to work that needs to be accomplished.
• Participates in employee disciplinary issues. Addresses complaints and helps resolve problems with assistance from Vineyard Manager and HR
• Effectively self manages and uses sound judgment in performing job duties.
• Is able to demonstrate field work techniques and safety regulations to workers. Administers regular safety trainings to employees as required.
• Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crew
• Maintains accurate and organized production records
• Can operate technology as required for the position: hand held devices, computers, company vehicles.
• Participates, with Vineyard Manager, in hiring/termination decisions.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Thorough knowledge in vineyard practices and procedures as would normally be attained through 5+ years of vineyard experience. Prior supervisory experience required. Possesses high school diploma or general education degree (GED); or related, relevant experience and training. Ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos, safety guidelines, operational directions written in English. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations. Computer knowledge and capability or ability to quickly acquire definitely preferred. Strong preference for bilingual fluency in Spanish and English. A valid California Driver’s License is required to operate Company fleet vehicles.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat.