Under the direction of the Vineyard Manager, supervises and coordinates all the various farming activities for assigned vineyards. Assignments involve the execution of general vineyard management work requiring broad skills and knowledge in the areas of pruning, irrigation management, weed control, chemical applications, disease and pest control, cultivation and canopy management and harvest. Assists in all vineyard development activities including land preparation, reservoir, trellis and irrigation system installation, planting and grafting, equipment selection, etc. Directs work assignments, delegating work to field personnel in an effective manner. Trains personnel in the areas of scheduling, procedures, safety and regulations related to vineyard functions. Maintains close supervision of field crews, assuring proper procedures and quality of work.
- Directs a workforce consisting of labor crews, equipment operators, mechanics, irrigators, etc. as well as contractors.
- Plans and coordinates activities of vineyard supervisors, foremen and other related personnel.
- Monitors crops for insect & disease pressure; plans and implements fungicide, pesticide and irrigation programs; keeps accurate records of pesticide & chemical usage and inventories.
- Effectively and efficiently utilizes data management systems (e.g. Ag Code) and applies information to forecast, organize and monitor vineyard operations, budgets, labor, expenses.
- Reviews and approves timecard data daily to insure accuracy in payroll.
- Maintains accurate, timely records of daily event, equipment and work schedules.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual capital expenditure and operating expense budgets and monthly reviews.
- Assists in requisitioning, operating and maintaining all tools, equipment and vehicles. Reviews all expenditures to ensure that all operations are within budgetary parameters.
- Interprets and enforces company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations. Assists in the implementation of employee safety training programs.
- Successfully manages people. Provides performance feedback on employees to manager as needed. May help Vineyard Manager address communications, performance, employee relations issues that occur with Vineyard workforce.
- Represents Vineyards and Vineyard Manager in absence of VM and/or conducts market and guest tours, deals with outside vendors, at meetings in a professional and knowledgeable manner.
- Works nights and weekends as required throughout the year.
- Takes on special projects as assigned by the Vineyard Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
, Vineyard Foreman., Vineyard Supervisor
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
A minimum of two years of direct experience in vineyard management and/or development is required. Strong communication skills are essential with the ability to speak and write clearly and well; proficiency in Spanish and English is highly desirable. This position requires excellent planning and organizational skills as well as the ability and desire to be a team player. Demonstrates good/great people skills; the ability to build positive, constructive relationships at all levels of the company. Position requires solid computer proficiency and ability to work with company software and programs such as Microsoft Office, Excel, Ag Code. Must have a valid California Driver’s License.
Degree in Viticulture or related field and/or equivalent, relevant experience is required.
Must know how to operate and be able to show others how to operate:
Equipment: Wheel Tractor, Quad, Pickup
Implements: Disc, Seeder, Mower, Sprayer
Knows/Learns how to: Calibrate sprayer, set discs, hydraulics, simple repairs, service equipment
Experienced AVMs can operate: Machine Harvesters, Mechanical Leafers, OTV Hedgers
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds. Must be able to operate farming implements, large machinery, vehicles on flat land and hillsides. Employee is exposed to wet and or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, farming chemicals and fertilizers. The employee will be exposed to seasonal weather conditions (summer heat, cold weather, rain).
This job description is not limited to the duties described and may be subject to change as needed.