Under the direction of the North Coast VP Vineyard Operations, the Vineyard Manger directs and coordinates daily farming activities for 300 – 400 acres of high quality vineyards providing fruit for exceptional Napa wines. Successfully executes specialized vineyard management and wine grape growing techniques in the areas of pruning, irrigation management, weed control, chemical applications, disease and pest control, cultivation, canopy management, crop estimation, harvest, safety, and compliance.
Essential Job Duties:
- First and foremost, develops and farms highest quality vineyards and fruit on Napa mountains, hillsides and valleys.
- Works with Vineyard Management Team and Winemaking to develop the farm plan and to forecast immediate and future needs.
- Maintains highly effective communications and working relationships with vineyard, winemaking and marketing teams.
- Effectively hires, trains, develops and manages a well trained team of skilled vineyard employees.
- Works with Supervisors and Foremen to direct and manage day to day farming activities.
- Plans the efficient deployment and use of equipment and personnel for both company employees and Farm Labor Contractor employees.
- Manages pest control activities, internal field scouting program, work orders, and use reports.
- Orders, inventories and distributes chemicals and fertilizers; oversees quality and precision of chemical and fertilizer applications.
- Ensures timely and accurate data collection to assemble and update crop estimation.
- Manages the collection and dissemination of all soil, water, and tissue data.
- Understands and executes company sustainability and organic programs; maintains proper records for sustainable and organic certifications.
- Executes special projects as assigned by the VP of Vineyard Operations. Actively supports company programs and communications, marketing initiatives and community outreach.
Degree in Viticulture or related, relevant field is required. Must possess significant prior farming experience including winegrowing expertise for high end grapes. Demonstrates effective communication skills, ability to build positive business relationships at all levels of the enterprise; has strong computer and systems savvy. A PCA license and proficiency in Spanish are highly desirable. This position requires excellent planning and organizational skills as well as the ability and willingness to work as a team player. Must be a strong, positive people manager.
Employment Conditions and Requirements:
Employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals and must be able to use proper Personal Protective Equipment. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat. Position requires ability to operate a pick up truck, SUV or other appropriate vineyard vehicle. All applicants must possess a current, valid California Driver’s License.