Under the direction of the Sr. Estate Manager, the Tasting Room Assistant Manager is responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations of the winery Tasting Room. This position is responsible for facilitating the sales programs, opening and closing of the Tasting Room, tastings and hospitality programs, executing policies and procedures set forth by Tasting Room management. All efforts are focused on attaining monthly sales goals, providing gracious hospitality to consumers and trade, contributing to a rewarding work environment for TR staff.
- Helps ensure that each and every visitor enjoys their experience and leaves with a very high impression of our winery and wines.
- Handles all aspects of Tasting Room staff scheduling, including staff calendar (to be produced at least 2 weeks prior to the next month), emergency calls and replacements. Works with the Tasting Room Manager and Estate Director to ensure staffing is in line with monthly staff budget allowances.
- In conjunction with the Sr. Estate Manager, manages and trains tasting room staff.
- Oversees daily staff in the Tasting Room to ensure proper hospitality and service is provided to all customers and that company procedures are employed in all sales and customer service transactions.
- Be actively involved in the hiring, termination, advancement, promotion and other change of status of employees.
- Provides clear, on-going communication to tasting room staff providing consistent and timely direction, establishing specific and clearly communicated performance goals and delivering meaningful regular performance reviews.
- Possess commanding knowledge of POS system, including ability to effectively perform opening and closing procedures.
- Works on Tasting Room floor; serves as a Tasting Room host, pouring wines and assisting in all aspects of consumer tours, tastings and hospitality.
- Effectively sells wine and Wine Club memberships at the Tasting Room and consumer events.
- Acquires commanding knowledge of wines, vineyards, winemaking, appellations, winery and sense of place.
- Participates and assists with special events that occur at the Tasting Room and the Winery. Schedules staffing as needed to assist with events.
- Works with Tasting Room Manager to ensure all aspects of brand message, communication, talking points, etc., are consistent between Wholesale and Tasting Room channels.
- Works with leadership to ensure that all staff are updated with all current wine and marketplace information including distributor information, market wine pricing and new release timing.
- Daily monitors and facilitates merchandising in the Tasting Room, ensuring that wine and non-wine displays are effective, neat and attractive for visitors to the Tasting Room, and that they fulfill the appropriate brand imaging.
- Ensures correct and timely shipping of wine to customers. Maintains current knowledge of new legal issues pertaining to inter-state shipping of wine to consumers. Regularly educates staff on related subjects as well as assists with making certain that all Tasting Room POS materials are current with legal parameters.
- Represents winery at promotional off-site tastings for local B & B’s, Inns and non-profit organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- College degree in business/retail management, hospitality or wine marketing, or equivalent experience strongly preferred.
- Three to five years of prior relevant retail tasting room and consumer direct sales experience required.
- Must have demonstrated sales ability and excellent organizational and customer service skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required. Proficiency in J.D. Edwards software, POS, and working with websites a plus.
- The ability to work and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a high level of detail is required.
- Must be capable of working independently and have the ability to take initiative and be self-directed.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Can stand and sit for long periods of time.
- Must be available to work flexible schedule including weekends.