The primary role of the Senior Construction Manager is to support the Real Estate Department implement and oversee capital improvement construction projects from schematic design/preconstruction to certificate of occupancy and punch list sign off. Duties of this position include but are not limited to preconstruction services, estimating, contracting, constructability input to construction documents/engineering/permitting, bidding services, contract negotiation, selection and bid award, and construction management for a variety of real estate projects; manage and provide input to the Real Estate Department personnel on capital and cash flow forecasting & budgeting (facilities), value engineering, general project pricing, overall construction and unit pricing trends by region, and contracting. This position reports to the VP of Engineering, supervises the Construction Manager, and will involve close cross-functional collaboration with Real Estate Department colleagues and Company personnel.
- Manage comprehensive types of commercial and residential construction projects in all aspects of real estate, including but not limited to ground-up residential and commercial construction (types I-V), and remodels or rebuilds of existing facilities, focusing on wineries, industrial warehouses, tasting rooms, assorted hospitality/retail/restaurant venues, and residential/multi-family homes, including all onsite, offsite, fire-suppression and general engineering/infrastructure construction.
- Identifies, contracts, collaborates, and directs general contractors and sub-contractors to build multiple projects, sometimes simultaneously, on schedule and budget
- Provides input on construction document and improvement plan design and specifications to improve constructability and ensure plans/specs have been optimized for compliance, cost and schedule
- Provides estimating / pricing /schedule tracking and budgets for construction offsites and directs, as needed
- Oversees bidding services, contractor selection, notice to proceed, contract negotiations, resolution of non-compliance with plans and specifications, inspections through certificate of occupancy and punch list / warranty and closing obligation compliance
- Provides input on field construction strategy /sequencing/scheduling, contractor compliance, quality control and safety processes to help meet project goals
- Provides general construction management services including field superintendent and subcontractor oversight and office project management as needed and with the support of the Real Estate team
- Accountable for construction scheduling and managing general and subcontractors schedule compliance; may include direct subcontractor management and oversight
- Responds to RFI’s and submittals as needed, negotiates change orders and maintains project budgets
- Works closely with Real Estate Contract Administrator & Sr. Director of Contract Management to effectuate and support construction administration oversight, lien & insurance compliance, subcontractor compliance, invoice & contract payment accuracy and accounting; supports team coordination with finance, accounting, and AP/AR as necessary to keep project on schedule through close out
- Performs outreach and regular Real Estate department and company-wide cross functional communications as needed
- Responsible for Schedule of Values management from contract inception through punch list, compliance with budgets set forth in such payables, including retention and warranty obligations as well as tracks costs-to date and forecasts potential budget overages
- If applicable, provides supervision of field staff and coordinates all related duties closely with Real Estate Contract Administrator or Winery staff as needed
- In concert with the VP of Engineering and Real Estate Dept personnel, develops and manages capex budgets, long and short-term department goals, objectives and operating procedures related to construction projects and efficiencies.
- Works closely with the Sr Director Contract Management to improve processes, procedures, safety practices and quality control in the construction realm; embrace new methods to stay abreast of and innovatively adapt to industry changes; collaborate on construction unit costs, pricing, demands & industry trends/technologies; and make recommendations to improve purchasing and procurement as needed
- Provides “boots on the ground” quality control and “means and methods” oversight; oversees GC or superintendent management of subcontractors to ensure compliance with plans, specifications, contract documents, special inspections and building department inspections to maintain timely performance.
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, or related field or equivalent on the job experience and professional training. CA State contractor’s license (A, B preferred, C acceptable).
Experience: 10-15 years of experience in commercial and or residential construction, land development, architecture/engineering or construction industries including significant large scale commercial construction experience. Working knowledge of all forms of construction contracting, building codes, NFPA, ASHRAE, OSHA, green building codes, and licensing, including AGCCA and CSLB preferred, but not required. Time in the field, hands-on construction and carpentry experience a plus.
- Ability to facilitate and motivate contractors and subconsultants, simultaneously, to produce quality products within tight timeframes and budgets.
- Ability to coordinate project general contractors, sub-contractors/trades, construction and project management activities, technical staff / consultants.
- Strong analytical, plan review, organizational and writing skills are a must.
- Articulate communication skills – verbal, pictorial, numerical – as relevant to the development process.
- A record of successful construction projects delivered on time and budget.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with GC’s, designers, engineers, subcontractors, trades, suppliers, and diverse individuals is also required.
- Interpersonal skills, demonstrated by considering and responding appropriately to the needs and capabilities of different people in different situations; tactfulness; treating others with respect; and relating effectively to others when encountering difficult situations.
- Proven ability to work well independently (and unsupervised) & is self-motivated/driven
- Experience in bidding, selecting, negotiating, and contracting with contractors will be highly regarded.
- Identify risks early and present well thought out corrective action plans. Must be nimble and adapt easily to changing circumstances, and willing to travel and work evening/weekends on occasion.
Computer Skills: Advanced MSOffice skills in Word/Excel/MS Project. Knowledge of AutoCad a plus. Construction management software (e.g. Primavera, Procore, BlueBeam, Smartsheet, or similar, etc) also a plus.
Mental/Emotional Aptitude: Candidate must have the ability to perform under stress for extended periods of time, with coworkers/internal teams, as well as outside contractors, facility workers, consultants, inspectors etc., and maintain a professional level of decorum. Ability to collaborate and work well with others, superiors and/or subordinates, is a necessary asset.