The company is looking for a high caliber Senior Accountant to be responsible for all areas related to month-end close, reporting, budget and forecasting, tax preparation and annual audit. The Senior Accountant will have contact with Senior-Level Management and various Department managers and Controllers which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY/ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close. As applicable, prepares or approves journal entries.
- Assist the Sr. Cash management administrative person as back up in the daily banking requirements.
- Banking relationship with note holder and collateral reviews.
- Responsible for fixed assets accounting.
- Perform property tax reports, as applicable.
- Responsible for lease accounting (Lessee and Lessor) in collaboration with the company’s affiliated entities. Knowledge of the latest update on New Lease Accounting, a plus.
- Achieves accounting operational objectives by contributing accounting information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing standards; resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements; implementing change.
- Meets accounting financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; cash needs assessment.
- Confirms financial status by monitoring revenue and expenses; coordinating the collection, consolidation, and evaluation of financial data; preparing special reports.
- Guides other departments by researching and interpreting accounting policy; applying observations and recommendations to operational issues.
- Maintains financial security by establishing and/or maintaining internal controls.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities.
- Assist the preparation of various tax requirements. IRS section 1031 exchange knowledge, a plus
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Skills/Qualifications: Developing Budgets, Accounting, Managing Processes, Reporting Research Results, Management Proficiency, Coordination, Attention to Detail, Performance Management, Project Management, Business Knowledge, Technical Leadership, Technical Management, Vision
Education: BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting; CPA preferred.
Skills/Abilities: Five to seven years prior experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area. Experience working in a family office and corporate winery is preferred. Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
Computer Skills: Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office Excel and Word. Experience with QuickBooks Premier, J.D. Edwards or other large automated accounting system a plus.