Seasonal Viticulture/Cellar Worker
Position Summary: The Seasonal Viticulture/Cellar Worker is a JFW hybrid Vineyard/Winery Seasonal role to assist both winemaking and winery staff with harvest-related activities.
A typical day would start in the vineyard; collecting grape berry and cluster samples from various vineyards for the purpose of measuring sugar (degrees brix) and delivering those samples to wine laboratories for analysis. The 2nd half of the day would be in the cellar assisting with all aspects of grape receiving, fermentation management and harvest winery duties. The mix of Vineyard and Winery job duties may fluctuate daily and over the course of harvest as grape deliveries progress. The balance of work would be more vineyard early season and winery latter season. This is an exciting cross functional role, with broad harvest exposure and experience, working collaboratively in a team environment.
Essential Functions and Duties
- Familiarization with estate and outside grower vineyards, routes and access.
- Collect grape samples from a large variety of vineyards in Napa and Sonoma counties
- Communicate schedules and sample frequency with winemakers
- Deliver vineyard samples to the local winery lab for analysis in a timely manner
- Record and report lab analysis results to Grower Relations, Winemaking & Vineyard Managers
- Clean, sanitize, and sterilize all winery equipment and facilities.
- Fermentation: operate Punch Downs, Pump Overs
- Rack and pump grape juice and wine; moving hoses and equipment
- Operate a forklift, moving barrels and case goods
- Addition of chemicals to juice & wine
- Follow all safe cellar practices
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Ability to read maps, and basic geographical knowledge
- Drive own vehicle, a valid Driver’s License and clean DMV record
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Physical Requirements: ability to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop and kneel, and be able to regularly lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain and exposure to the elements
- Pass both physical and pre-employment drug screening requirements
- Ability to work flexible hours (up to 12 hours daily, 6 Days per week) and work the entire harvest season
- Ability to do basic math and have good verbal and written English communication skills.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, such as safety rules and procedures, cellar work orders, count barrels, record times and dates
- Participate in safety training programs to ensure personal and team members’ safety
- Learn in-house data management software program
Experience and Qualifications:
- Previous vineyard grape sampling or winery harvest experience preferred but not required
- Maintain reliable, punctual, organized behaviors and possess a strong work ethic.