Under the general direction of and the direct supervision of the Tasting Room Manager, the Estate Host is responsible for efficiently and effectively promoting the sale of wine and non-wine products through customer service and providing consumers with a meaningful wine tasting and experience. All efforts are focused on attaining monthly sales goals while providing gracious hospitality to consumers and trade.
Time frame: Start of May to end of October 2021
- Greets all visitors to the Tasting Room, pours wines for tasting, discusses wine and responds to customer questions as appropriate.
- Ensures that every visitor enjoys their wine tasting experience and leaves with a very high impression of our wines.
- Is knowledgeable about wines, accurately describes wines, winemaking techniques, winery history, appellations, and unique aspects of wines.
- Effectively promotes and sells wine and Wine Club memberships to customers.
- Handles routine purchasing transactions, including operating cash register, accounting of daily sales, and processing returns and discounts.
- Takes the initiative for self-development in the areas of our wines, our brands, general hospitality, and for acquiring effective sales techniques and acumen.
- Participates in company-sponsored wine educational and development opportunities.
- Maintains knowledge of current and new legal issues pertaining to inter-state shipping of wine to consumers and how they impact day-to-day wine shipments.
- Working with shipping department, facilitates shipping of wine to customers and meets all compliance and regulatory requirements of wine shipments.
- Participates and assists with special hospitality events that occur at the winery.
- Washes and polishes glassware for Tasting Room.
- Assists with display and pricing of retail items and wines as needed.
- Represents winery at outside functions as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education:
- Shows commitment to excellence and high standards in work product.
- Possesses or can develop solid knowledge of wines and winemaking processes.
- Consistently demonstrates outstanding customer service skills and poise and tact in working with the public.
- Proven ability to effectively and appropriately communicate with diverse client group.
- Possesses professional appearance and demeanor.
- Is flexible, can manage constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Fluent in English
- Demonstrates ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, and percentages.
- Strong computer proficiency and data entry experience, basic to intermediate knowledge of Word and Excel preferred.
- Possesses one to two years prior related experience.
- Has high school diploma or GED; two to four year college degree preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to work weekends and flexible schedules.
- Ability to lift and move 50 pounds repeatedly.
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to effectively stock wine, set-up and break down procedures, equipment, etc., and be able to utilize dolly cart and assist in moving heavy objects.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow written and verbal instructions.