Position Title: Harvest/Seasonal Laboratory Analyst
Department: Vinwood Cellars Laboratory
Reports to: Lab Manager
Under the general direction of the Laboratory Manager, the Seasonal Lab Analyst performs vineyard, juice, and wine analysis in a fast-paced winery dedicated to production.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
Become an integral member of the harvest team by becoming proficient in the analysis performed in the lab
- Perform ripeness analysis on incoming vineyard samples
- Perform routine wet chemistry analysis in an accurate and timely manner
- Perform harvest and post-harvest analysis using auto analyzers
- Brettanomyces monitoring using a benchtop PCR
- Make and standardize reagents
- Record results accurately in LIMS
- Monitor tanks and barrels fermentation daily
- Collect samples from tanks and barrels during primary and malolactic fermentation
- Support winemaking staff in setting up sensory trials or tasting trials when assigned
- Participate in lab general housekeeping
- Adherence to company safety regulations related to employee, equipment and chemicals
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
A science degree is required and working knowledge of wine chemistry or previous lab experience is preferred. This position requires strong organizational skills, excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail. Must be willing to work flexible hours including weekends, overtime and varying shifts (including evenings and nights).
Required to stand for extended periods of time, occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and able to lift and move up to 35 pounds of weight.
A weekly harvest lunch will be provided.