Position Description: Seasonal Lab Tech
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
The individual in this position of Laboratory Technician I will be an important member of the Soledad laboratory team. This position requires attention and adherence to laboratory quality requirements, support of quality initiatives, teamwork, professionalism and demonstrated work ethic. The individual in this position is responsible for timely and accurate analysis of grapes, must and continual interaction with the winemaking and production team.
- Perform quality work in a fast‑paced, team‑oriented environment.
- Follow laboratory’s Standard Operating Procedures and safety protocols.
- Perform daily checks and calibrations for safety equipment and laboratory instrumentation.
- Participate in maintaining the cleanliness and organization of the laboratory.
- Assist in routine preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment.
- Effectively perform routine laboratory analyses.
- Prepare samples and standardize reagents.
- Enter analytical results into the database.
- Contribute to and maintain high standards for quality assurance and quality control.
- Participate in training of seasonal harvest personnel.
- Obtain juice and wine sample from barrels and tanks.
- Adhere to safety rules and requirements in the lab and cellar
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Areas of Specialization:
- Knowledge of wine chemistry, wine microbiology, wine quality, sensory and winemaking.
- Possession of time‑management, project management, statistics and critical thinking skills.
- Experience with a Laboratory Information System (LIMS).
- Experience in evaluating equipment.
- Degree in enology or chemical/biological science is highly preferred or prior production experience in a wine lab environment. The candidate should possess excellent verbal and written skills in English (Spanish language skills are a strong plus) and computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook)The availability to work overtime and flexibility to work varying shifts, is required. The candidate must be able to lift 35 lbs. and be able to stand for long periods of time. Punctual and available for overtime or flexible hours as required, especially during harvest.
- Desirable traits: Highly organized, attention to detail, strong communicator, problem solving, can work
collaboratively and independently, strong work ethic, and positive attitude.
Required to stand long periods of time, occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and able to lift and move up to 25 pounds of weight. Ability to work in cold, wet, hot, and/or noisy environments. Exposure to common wine additives and products using appropriate personal protective equipment.
How much on‑the‑job time is spent in the following physical activities? Show the amount of time by checking the appropriate boxes below.
Amount of Time:
1/3 to 2/3
Use hands to finger, handle, or feel
Reach with hands and arms
Climb or balance
Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
Talk or hear
Taste or smell