Under the general direction of the Carneros Hills Winemaker, this position will provide winemaking, technical, and supervisory support to the winemaking team. We are looking for a strong candidate to work effectively between the cellar, lab and winemaking. This position requires a hands on approach as well as a high level of organization and attention to technical detail.
- Organization of cellar work flow and generating work orders on a timely basis
- Understanding and implementing various winemaking protocols and techniques
- Training and supervising seasonal staff as needed
- Monitoring and managing primary fermentation, juice and wine racks, transfers, and shipping
- Ability and experience to perform all cellar operations in which position oversees
- Involved in lees filtration and management
- Involved in fruit processing and pressing operations
- Interpreting daily lab analysis and reports
- Following daily quality control checks and protocols
- Communicating work flow through daily schedules and meetings
- Involved in the development of short and long-term production plans
- Participating in regular sensory evaluation trials
- May be called upon to conduct educational tours and tastings
- Special projects as assigned by supervisor
Background and Experience:
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Enology, Fermentation Science, Chemistry, Microbiology, or related field. Three years’ experience in laboratory/wine production required. Supervisory experience and knowledge of current viticulture research and literature preferred. The qualified candidate will be well organized detail oriented, and possess strong analytical skills. The capacity to work independently and with others at all levels of the organization is required. Intermediate to advanced computer skills in Word and Excel are required. Spanish language skills are desired. The willingness to work extended hours and various shifts is expected during the harvest season. The position requires the ability to stand for long periods of time, occasionally reach with hands and arms, occasionally sit, walk, climb, stoop, or kneel, as well as be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
All applicants must pass a drug test before beginning work or receiving an offer of employment. Refusal to submit to testing will result in disqualification of further employment consideration.