Jackson Family Wines is much more than a family owned wine company. We're risk-taking innovators with a strong belief that quality is paramount. We're always on the lookout for top talent -- individuals who possess a strong work ethic, commitment to quality and share our beliefs in healthy lands and a healthy community. In 2019, we were selected as one of the North Bay Business Journal's Best Places to Work for the fifth year running.
This role acts as a liaison, helping both North Coast local management and corporate management to understand what has been planned/forecasted, what is actually happening (actual results), and why, and working together to determine what can be done to change the future, if needed to meet plan/forecast. This role will work with their internal customers to develop and define useful actionable metrics, to be tracked, analyzed and discussed, and to assist with action plans that are derived from such analysis and discussion. Additionally, this position works with North Coast local management to prepare their forecasts, to prepare other reporting or respond to adhoc requests of or for local management, and assist with improving processes and procedures with the goal of reducing redundant or non-value add reporting on local management and simultaneously to improve the communication of information to corporate management, ultimately to aid in the best possible understanding and decision-making for the entire organization. Given the size of the North Coast region, the Operations Controller will assist this position to ensure that the region is given direct and complete support for budgeting, forecasting and analysis.
In summary, top priorities are:
- Analytics, reporting and metrics
- Asset Utilization
- Process Improvement
- Regional Winery/Plant/Farming Budget support – lead or assist in the budget process for each local winery/branch plant, including preparation of supporting documents and backup as applicable for a bottoms-up budget. Ensure that DTC management needs are being supported by DTC Accounting.
Monthly Analysis/QBR and Forecasting:
- Analyze and produce reports (including labor and acreage review and analysis) to assist the regional GM’s, winemakers, Farming, etc. in understanding their variances to budget and forecast, and work together to determine any go-forward actions required to get back on course, as applicable, as well as to determine changes to the next forecast.
- Act as the winery/plant liaison to Accounting and Planning – share flux explanations and forecast changes with Planning and Accounting and in turn, keep updated on Planning’s latest information and actions.
- Working with Operations Controller develop metrics to drive improved efficiency and cost reduction
- Prepare periodic updated forecasts, working closely to ensure alignment with local management.
Inventory and Production Planning:
- Prepare and assist with various inventory (grape, bulk wine, FG, etc.) functions and financial reports and provide regular analysis and feedback to General Manager/Vineyard Directors and Finance
- Inventory/Cycle Counts – Assist and support physical inventory counts
- Packaging & Finished Goods Inventory - Monitor and maintain accurate unit costs and physical inventory control of all raw materials and finished good items
- Actively participate in strategic production planning; assist in monitoring and ensuring that adequate inventory levels are maintained to meet the needs of the operational objectives
- Understand, review and control Cost of Goods Sold
- Act as liaison between winery/production plants and Inventory & Cost Accounting dept to research flux and issues
- Suggest improvements & SOP’s, and implement best practice changes to enhance the understanding and improve “best” decision-making – watchword “continuous improvement”
Fixed Assets & Capital Expenditures:
- Support local management and GM’s in following capex process and procedures, act as liasion with Accounting and Governance to maintain accurate asset records, ensuring that an efficient process for disposals is put in place, maintained and continuously improved
- Support equipment replacement programs, ensure proper recording, follow-up for timely in-service dates and physical disposal
- Support periodic fixed asset audits
- Capital Expenditure Approval packages: assist with preparation, ROI calculations, approval tracking and budgeting for capex/depreciation and cash flow
- Asset Utilization: prepare ROI and ROIC calculations after asset implementation to assess achievement of expected returns on the original asset request
Financial/Accounting Guidance and Support:
- Consult with Business Managers on routing expenses to the appropriate GL, advise on reclass and accruals, BU & BP activation / deactivation, etc.
- Train and support new field office managers on all financial systems, compliance and procedures
- Oversee Accounting functions in field offices, including accuracy of coding annual PO’s and BP/BU creation
Compliance and Other Reporting:
- Oversee production of monthly report of TTB wine premise operations, excise taxes, OLCC statement of operations/tax submission, and other required governmental reports/surveys
- Publish, maintain and create Harvest & Labor Reports for all wineries and vineyards
Focus Areas/Best Practices & Continuous Improvement/Adhoc Requests
- Each Regional Operations Controller will have a focus area and/or projects that cross over all regions, such as Ag Codes, Adaptive Insights SME, certain Metrics,
- Work with operations team on evaluating and changing workflows, processes & procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness, both locally as well as those in interaction with Accounting, Planning, etc.
- Promote and actively support implementation of best practices
- Act as liaison and GM support to directly respond to adhoc inquiries for information and reporting, or assist the local management in responding to such requests
This position will be responsible for the activities outlined; however, additional tasks may be assigned as the company’s priorities change.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
- 7+ years of accounting experience in a manufacturing environment
- 3 years experience in inventory, cost accounting, fixed assets/Capital purchase management
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance, Business/Business Administration, or the equivalent in education/experience
- Strong understanding of accounting principles (GAAP), practices, and processes
- Experience building management reporting and in-depth analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Experience implanting process changes
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of cross functional teams
- Ability to build cross functional engagement and buy-in
- Advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables and Vlook-up
- Experience with and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong customer service orientation
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Versatility, flexibility and willingness to work with dynamic priorities with a positive attitude
Additional skills, experience or achievements considered “a plus”:
- JDE and Adaptive Insights system experience
- Experience employing Lean tools
- Business experience at a winery, vineyard, or winery production facility