The individual in this position of Laboratory Technician I will be an important member of the laboratory team. They will maintain high standards for quality assurance and quality control, interface with other departments, such as Winemaking, Bottling, and the Cellar at various stages of production. This individual will be required to show attention to detail, support quality initiatives, function as a team player, show professionalism and demonstrate work ethic. They will also be primarily responsible for performing wine quality and packaging quality audits during bottling. This individual will also be required to work scheduled hours in support Harvest sampling and analysis needs. Depending on qualifications, additional duties may include the performance of microbiological analysis of wine and juice. This is a day shift position, however, the individual in this position must be willing to work variable shifts as required.
- Perform routine wine quality and packaging quality audits during bottling operations
- Work along-side Winemaking, Cellar and Bottling operations to ensure the wine quality throughout the bottling process from the reception of wine into bottling to the shipping of final bottled product
- Thorough investigations of out-of-spec product and clear communication of product to appropriate parties
- Effectively perform routine laboratory analyses
- Ability to give clear concise instructions to bottling personnel for out-of-spec product
- Perform quality work in a fast‑paced, team‑oriented environment
- Perform calibrations for safety equipment and laboratory instrumentation
- Participate in maintaining the cleanliness and organization of the laboratory
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment
- Enter analytical results into the database
- Obtain samples from barrels and tanks
- Operate measuring tools for package integrity (balance, vacuum gauge, torque, and secure seal tester)
- Perform other duties as assigned
Desired Areas of Specialization:
- Possession of time‑management skills
- Knowledge of laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
- Knowledge of HACCP
Candidates should have an educational background in science, such as: Enology, Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry or Food Science. Other disciplines will be considered. The candidate should possess excellent verbal and written skills in English (Spanish language skills are a strong plus) and computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio a plus). Prior production experience in a wine lab environment is desirable. The availability to work overtime and flexibility to work varying shifts, is required. The candidate must be able to lift 35 lbs. and be able to stand for long periods of time.
Required to stand long periods of time, occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and able to lift and move up to 35 pounds of weight.