Jackson Family Wines is a family-owned company based in Santa Rosa, California. We oversee all the wine production and marketing for the Jackson family, including such well-known wine brands as Kendall-Jackson, La Crema, Murphy-Goode, Matanzas Creek, Cardinale, Stonestreet, Verite, Arrowood, Freemark Abbey, Cambria, and Byron. The family owns thousands of acres of prime vineyard land in California, as well as wineries and vineyards in Oregon, Australia, Chile, France, Italy, and South Africa. The family also owns many other wine industry businesses, including a barrel maker, and distribution companies.
We are searching for a Public Relations Manager who will oversee the day-to-day planning and execution of all internal and external communications activities in alignment with overall business strategy and objectives for wineries within the Spire Collection, the luxury division of Jackson Family Wines. The ideal candidate will possess outstanding organizational and communication skills with an expertise in media relations and full understanding and appreciation of the wine industry. This position will report directly to the Vice President of Public Relations.
- Develop and execute annual domestic and international public relations plan for priority wineries. Work closely with consumer, business and trade media to garner positive media coverage, execute media interviews, host media and ensure timely media pitching and distribution of press materials.
- Handle all media inquiries while fielding questions and developing interview opportunities for key spokespeople.
- Generate publicity for the introduction of new products, vintage releases and winery announcements via integrated public relations campaigns.
- Develop key messaging for winemakers and executives to serve effectively as company spokespersons.
- Research, organize and manage wine submissions for all media opportunities, competitions, and
- Oversees all charitable contributions and related philanthropic endeavors.
- Research, develop and maintain targeted media lists.
- Manage outside agencies, internal staff, and freelancers as needed to accomplish the public relations objectives for respective wineries.
- Work with marketing team to develop and manage brand communication strategies.
- Work with social media team to align digital programs and with public relations strategies.
- Manage crisis communications on issues that could negatively impact wineries.
- Monitor emerging media developments, special interest groups, events and causes to respond as needed and minimize negative exposure for the company its wineries.
- Support and attend industry events to represent key wineries and engage with media.
- Act as point of contact for strategic alliances and key industry groups like Napa Valley Vintners, Visit Napa Valley, etc.
- Provide thoughtful, relevant and accurate topical research on key wine issues, business needs or other program ideas that can contribute to meaningful results in communications planning and programs.
- Develop a measurable plan that supports business objectives.
- Provide quarterly and annual reporting on all PR activities, including acclaim, outreach, submissions, etc.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in public relations. Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field is required.
- Must have strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Comprehensive understanding and appreciation of the wine industry.
- Proven track record of working effectively with consumer, business and trade media and other wine industry influencers is required.
- Experience generating positive media coverage, pitching media, writing press releases and other materials and has established media contacts.
- Ability to provide effective counsel and to coach on communications issues to executives, managers, and
- Strong organizational, time management and project prioritization skills with the ability to handle a multitude of projects and constantly changing priorities.
- Ability to prioritize, juggle multiple priorities, and meet deadlines while still delivering high-quality
- Results-oriented, with the ability to deliver results that impact business performance.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications, excellent attention to detail and proofing skills.
- Ability to effectively manage outside agencies in the building and execution of strategic communications programs that deliver results on time and budget.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours as needed, e., weekends, nights or holidays.
- Hands-on knowledge of how wine brands work on social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs: Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to sit/stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow written and verbal instructions.
- International and domestic travel required >30%.