The primary role of the Project Manager, Planning & Development, is to manage capital projects from inception through to construction. Provides managerial oversight to capital improvement projects and is responsible for the direction, administration, completion and financial outcome of a given project. Manages the work of project teams including design and engineering consultants, contractors, local agencies and internal teams such as design, engineering, marketing and direct to consumer personnel. Responsible for developing project scope, budget and schedule. Works with local agencies to submit, monitor and obtain approvals for building and land improvement permits. Partners with internal design and construction teams to ensure project scope and design intent is met throughout the construction phase of a given project.
Candidates must be strategic thinkers with the ability to balance creativity with practicality, while also adapting to a dynamic and shifting company objectives. Project types will vary and may include building and tenant improvements, commercial hospitality projects, wineries, agricultural barns and residential homes.
- Manages planning and capital projects in all aspects of real estate, including small remodels to large residential or winery structures
- Works with local governmental agencies and to obtain all approvals and permits, as needed
- Identifies, contracts and directs project teams to execute the completion of various planning and capital projects on schedule and budget
- Responsible for project management, project coordination, scheduling and team communications within the organization
- Knowledge of and experience with local building codes/CalGreen, zoning laws and a firm understanding of principles of building design, architecture and construction
- Accountable for working on all aspects of multiple projects from site and building code evaluation, selection, and management of consultants
- Works closely with consultants and internal teams to manage schematic design through development of construction documents to ensure that they have been optimized for compliance, cost and schedule
- Assists in the development and management of department budgets and schedules, long and short-term department goals, objectives and operating procedures
- Ability to take on projects that are in various stages of design and/or construction
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
- Education in Land Use Planning, Architecture, Civil Engineering or Law is required but could be waived depending upon experience.
- Seven to ten years of experience in the planning, architecture/engineering or construction industries including significant capital and development project management experience.
- Ability to facilitate and motivate several teams, simultaneously, to produce quality product within tight timeframes and budgets.
- Ability to coordinate project activities, manage technical staff and consultants.
- Strong analytical, research, organizational and writing skills are a must.
- Proven ability to work well independently and unsupervised at times.
- Experience in selecting, negotiating, and contracting with consultants and contractors is required.
- Must be willing to travel and attend evening/weekend meetings on occasion.
- While AICP, LEED AP, or CEP certifications are certainly not required, we recognize what these achievements take time and dedication, and we seek out these qualities in potential team members.
- Knowledge of GIS, CAD, SketchUp, Bluebeam and other similar programs is definitely a plus.