Job Title: Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) Technician
Supervisor: Maintenance Supervisor
Location: Skylane Bottling
Shift/Hours: Swing shift, 12:00pm to 8:30pm, Monday through Friday. (Currently 3:30pm to 12:00am due to COVID protocols).
Under general supervision, this position installs, repairs and performs preventative, corrective and predictive maintenance on a wide variety of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs), Servos, Networks and other I/O devices. This position also installs, repairs and performs preventative, corrective and emergency maintenance on a wide variety of Bottling Line Winery Equipment that operates at 240-300bpm. The machines on the line are: Depalletizers, Filling/Capping Monoblocks, Laser Coders, Capsule Applicator/Spinners, Pressure Sensitive Labelers, Lane Dividers, Case Erectors, Case Packers, Partition Inserters, Case Sealers, Case Printers, Palletizers, Stretch-Wrappers, Bottle Fill Point Inspection, Label Quality Inspection, Case Quality Inspection. Additionally, the position may be required to perform repairs on support equipment, buildings and fixtures and systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain, install and troubleshoot the following devices:
- PLCs for Bottling Line Winery Equipment.
- PLC networks and associated components.
- I/O modules, digital sensors, analog sensors, actuators, probes and encoders.
- Safety relays, safety controllers, light curtains, safety locks.
- A/C induction motors.
- VFDs, Servo-Drives and Servomotors.
- Operate electrical test equipment: Multimeter, Process Meters, Amperage Clamps, Insulation Testers.
- Change-over and setup equipment that heavily relies on HMI parameter adjustments.
- Troubleshoot equipment while it's in production with a focus on electrical and programming problems.
- Use technical publications (electrical and mechanical) to troubleshoot and repair equipment.
- Perform electrical preventative and corrective maintenance on equipment.
- Perform mechanical preventative and corrective maintenance on equipment when required.
- Perform mechanical tasks such as lubrication, disassembly or repairs on equipment when required.
- Support the bottling operation when needed.
- Support the cellar operation in the bottling building when needed.
- Use of Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to keep track of parts inventory, work orders, preventative maintenance, projects and purchase orders.
- Selection of electrical and mechanical parts to repair, improve or retrofit equipment (all in-house).
- Contribute to projects of new equipment installations: all connections, line controls and interfaces.
- Interface with vendors to install new equipment or upgrade existing equipment.
- Take the lead on projects of varying degrees of complexity, mechanical or electrical.
- Must have a thorough understanding of commercial / industrial electrical practices and procedures for 110/220/480 VAC.
- In-depth experience and knowledge of the following:
- PLC programming in ladder logic for Allen-Bradley PLCs.
- HMI programming in Factory Talk View for Allen-Bradley HMIs.
- Ethernet/IP networking for Allen-Bradley devices, PLC-HMI-I/O-VFD.
- Allen-Bradley PowerFlex VFDs, 40Ps and 525s.
- Preferred knowledge of the following:
- PLCs: B&R, Siemens.
- Communication networks: DeviceNet, Profibus, AS-i, X20.
- HMIs: Movicon, Zenon.
- VFDs: B&R Acopos.
- Servomotors/drives: Allen-Bradley Kinetix, B&R Acopos.
- Must have a working knowledge of high-performance controllers, servo drives and servo rotary and linear brushless motors for coordinated motion.
- Must be able to perform electrical installations in machine panels, on machine components and throughout the bottling line from machine to machine or from main distribution panels to machines.
- Must be able to perform mechanical work like replacing OEM parts, motors, gearboxes, bearings or other mechanical components.
- Must be able to speak, read and write English.
- Must posses good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be capable of reading and interpreting technical manuals and electrical schematics
- Must be able to follow, observe and enforce all safety rules and regulations.
- Must have an excellent understanding of computer technology and be capable of working with Microsoft Word, Excel, CMMS and E-mail.
- Must be a self-starter, capable of working with limited supervision.
- Experience in manufacturing industry is a plus.
- Experience with SCADA systems (Ignition) is a plus.
3-5 years experience in food manufacturing or related industry.
How much on-the-job time is spent in the following physical activities?
1/3 to 2/3
Use hands to finger, handle, or feel
Reach with hands and arms
Climb or balance
Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
Talk or hear
Taste or smell
Does the job require that weight be lifted or forced be exerted?
1/3 to 2/3
Up to 10 pounds
Up to 25 pounds
Up to 50 pounds
Up to 100 pounds
More than 100 pounds