Precision Winegrowing Technician - Seasonal
Jackson Family Wines is looking for motivated individuals possessing a strong work ethic to fill an important seasonal position working closely with emerging precision winegrowing technologies.
This position is responsible for collecting grape berry samples from vineyards in Alexander Valley, preparing the samples for analysis, and processing them through laboratory equipment to develop a maturation profile used for harvest decisions and future vintages. This position begins early August and continues through the end of harvest. Applicants must have a clean DMV record, valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and the ability to pass a physical and drug screening. The ideal applicant will be reliable, have a strong attention to detail and cleanliness, possess some excel experience, and be able to work well both individually and in a group environment.
This position is responsible for the following duties, including but not limited to:
- Collecting grape samples from a large variety of vineyards in the mornings (previous sampling experience is a plus, as well as the ability to read vineyard maps)
- Delivering samples to winery for analysis in a timely manner
- Processing and analyzing daily grape samples using analytical instrumentation
- Recording data and maintaining high quality control standards throughout the entire process
- Utilizing existing software to produce projected harvest reports from the data collected
- Physical Requirement: Ability to lift 35 Ibs. and work multiple hours outdoors in a fast-paced manner over flat and hilly terrain
- Other Requirements: Must be reliable and have own vehicle (P/U or AWD preferred) and valid driver’s license
- Must be able to pass a physical, drug examination and show proof of eligibility to work in the United States
Background and Experience:
Prior winery and vineyard experience and/or education in related field preferred. Must have ability to communicate effectively with good skills in reading, writing, and basic math. Microsoft Excel and analytical skills preferred. Must be able to work safely around equipment, electrical outlets, and chemicals. Individuals selected for this position must be reliable, detail-oriented, and have good work ethic. Must be able to work varying shifts, weekends and overtime as needed particularly during the harvest season. Must be able to provide proof of ability to work in the United States and valid driver’s license.
This position requires the ability to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, and regularly lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
This is a unique opportunity to work with a wide variety of vineyards in Sonoma County and have a critical impact on improving fruit quality utilizing precision winegrowing technology. If you have worked one or more harvests in the cellar or lab, this would be a fantastic opportunity to obtain vineyard experience and acquire unique skills that will be valuable as you advance in the wine industry and if you are just starting out this can be a great first step in understanding the multiple aspects that are involved in a harvest.