The Payroll Manager works with the finance, accounting and HR departments to process payroll for new and existing employees, and monitor and oversee payroll schedules. This position requires strong payroll experience, commitment to high standards, excellent customer service skills and the ability to handle confidential information.
The Payroll Manager is responsible for developing, retrieving and analyzing payroll-related reports, setting up tax tables, meeting with appropriate taxing authorities and payroll service bureau personnel, processing payroll withholdings and appropriate transmittals, ensuring all payroll filings are made timely, accurately, confidentially and providing back-up to the Director, Payroll.
- Develops, retrieves and analyzes month-end payroll-related reports.
- Accurately completes and provides to the Accounting Department month-end journal entries and analysis.
- Responsible for overseeing the process of entering and processing new hires, termination status changes, tax changes, wage garnishments, deductions, direct deposits and other payroll-related entries.
- Oversees input of correct data in the system. Processes multi-state, multi-facility payroll data and tax information in a timely manner, setting up new states as needed with Ceridian tax services.
- Responsible for maintaining current participant payroll deferred compensation electronic files and/or records to ensure adherence to and processing of all deferred compensation payments and taxes for both the “Legacy Management Benefit Plan” (administered by Prudential) and the Supplemental Retirement Plan (administered by Vanguard).
- Sets up and manages 401(k) loans in the payroll system.
- Partners with the Human Resources Director of Compensation and Systems, as well as both vendor customer relationship rep counterparts for record keeping and systems’ management.
- Enters data into both payroll processing system and timekeeping system in an accurate and timely manner.
- Approve invoices from our Vendors Ceridian and UKG on a monthly basis.
- Maintains payroll records and files including but not limited to sick time and vacation and other accrued leave.
- Works with HR and IT to constantly improve the efficiency of the Payroll process, ensuring safe and efficient data entry and sharing.
- Along with the HR Department, develops and delivers training programs for off-site HR Representatives, HR Managers and Office Managers to assist in the proper maintenance of the HRIS System.
- Responds to non-routine inquiries concerning payroll deductions and accruals, wage garnishments, child support payments, and employment verifications.
- Hires, trains, and oversees the work of the Payroll Specialists.
- Oversees the process for leaves of absence (LOAs) for all companies.
- Assists with related special projects as required.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Performs other duties as assigned by manager.
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION:
- Payroll Specialists / Analysts (2-4)
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Finance or the equivalent in education and experience required.
- A minimum of four years’ payroll-processing experience with a strong working knowledge of payroll processing systems and related functions required. Experience in a mid-sized organization preferred.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Must be well-organized and detail oriented.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to calculate figures and amounts.
- Commitment to high standards and excellent customer service skills.
- Must possess initiative, dedication and a high attention to detail.
- Must be able to balance multiple priorities, overcome challenges, work under pressure and handle the demands and responsibilities of a growing and dynamic organization with enthusiasm.
- Basic competence in duties and tasks of supervised employees.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate subordinates. Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Must work well with Senior Management.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as workload permits and according to payroll schedules. Additional hours required during harvest. Must be adaptable, flexible and a quick-thinker and learner.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Intermediate MS Office skills in Word, Excel and Access. Knowledge of computer-based payroll programs, i.e. Ceridian, Kronos (WFR). 10-key by touch. Ability to adapt to new systems. UltiPro (UKG), and JDE experience a plus.
- Spanish speaking ability a plus.