The Packaging Engineer at Jackson Family Wines is responsible for technical design, qualification, line performance and quality of all packaging materials. The role establishes packaging specifications for new items and ensures inbound materials are within established specs. This position will have a couple of direct reports to aid in bridging the gap between Procurement, Bottling, Mobile Bottling, Maintenance, and raw material Suppliers.
- Subject matter expert in all packaging components: (glass, cork, capsules, labels, and corrugated shippers).
- Works closely with Marketing, Creative, Procurement, and Operations on new package development.
- Develops packaging specifications and acceptable quality levels (AQL’s) for all new packages.
- Develops a process to track, by supplier, all non-conformance to specifications.
- Review incoming material inspection process to assure adequacy and effectiveness.
- Works closely with suppliers to resolve quality issues.
- Manages the return process for any out-of-specification material.
- Attends press proof and initial production of packaging supplies.
- Audits supplier operations for adherence to quality specifications.
- Lead the technical qualification process for changes to component and finished good specifications for all primary packaging items.
- Identify opportunities to improve packaging specifications to ensure greater line efficiencies.
- Lead the qualification process for value engineering projects (PS labels, lightweight glass, reduced height partitions, etc.).
- The successful candidate will have 5 plus years of packaging experience
- A degree in Packaging Engineering is a plus
- Experience in manufacturing processes for beverage packaging