The Operations Manager will plan, organize, direct, manage, evaluate and is responsible for the operations and budget of the warehouse facilities, including the identification of opportunities for warehousing operations improvements. Direct reports to this position are the warehouse and transportation managers whose duties include the day-to-day operations of outbound, inbound and deliveries to California retail customers.
The Operations Manager is responsible for meeting or exceeding company established Safety, Service and Productivity standards and ensuring that regulatory compliance procedures are adhered to.
Prepares or directs preparation of correspondence, reports, statistics related to the areas of responsibility, maintenance, and safety manuals needed for the effective management of the operation.
Strong leadership skills and effective management responsibilities including training, coaching, planning and forecasting workloads, problem solving, negotiation, and addressing staff challenges.
- Develops and manages various reports needed for production and service analysis
- Review weekly plans, priorities, and assignments, and effectively communicate to management team
- Monitor, review and communicate daily/weekly/monthly key performance indicators.
- Performs all personnel management functions with site managers including hiring, scheduling, timesheet review, training, performance management, staff development and discipline
- Plan, budget and schedule facilities modifications and moves, including cost estimates, bid sheets, and layouts, including office moves, rearrangements, modifications, preventive or remedial maintenance.
- Complies with federal, state, and local warehousing, material handling, and shipping requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions
- Develops and insures compliance with annual Controllable Budgets for Transportation and Warehouse Operations.
- Confer with managers and supervisors to coordinate interdependent activities of individual departments to ensure a seamless experience for the customer.
- Implements controls and training to avoid exceptions (mispicks, loading errors, rolled orders, shorts and damages).
- Maintains physical condition of warehouse by planning and implementing new design layouts; inspecting equipment; issuing work orders for repair and requisitions for replacement.
- Develops and maintains a Safety First culture through continuous reinforcement and training of Safety Protocols to prevent both accidents and injuries
- Creates training documentation for operational and safety procedures
- Investigates and reports all on-the-job accidents and injuries in a thorough and timely manner
- Complies with the Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP).
- Ensure facility is compliant with all company, DOT, CHP and OSHA safety and operational requirements.
- Oversee and manage multiple shift operations
- Track and monitor progress of teams and individual efforts
- Maintains high level of housekeeping and organization throughout the warehouse
- Remain current with latest warehouse operations technology systems and procedures
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION:
- Warehouse and Transportation Managers
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
Degree in business preferred or equivalent work experience.
- 5-7 years in previous Supply Chain/Operations management experience in a DSD wholesale distribution environment.
- Experience in an automated factory floor environment including plc controlled conveying, scanning, diverting and loading.
- Experience in WMS (HighJump preferred) as well as WCS (warehouse control systems) management software.
- Experience with automated routing systems (Roadnet/Mobilecast preferred)
- Ability to read, analyze and understand general business and operational procedures and requirements
- Intermediate experience with Windows based applications to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Ability to write reports, professional internal and external correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Excellent communication skills, and must be able to communicate fluently in English.
- Comfortable communicating both verbally and in writing with all levels of management and staff
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors and employees
- Ability to work with customers (both distributor and retailer) regarding fulfillment and delivery issues.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Attention to detail a must
- Strong management, administrative and customer service skills
- Proven leadership skills and abilities; lead by example to set a positive tone and work environment for staff