The FP&A - Operations Farming Manager is a key member of the FP&A Team focusing on financial support for Farming Operations. This role will be responsible for the financial budgeting, reporting and analytics of company-wide farming and development. This position requires the ability to analyze and organize large amounts of data as well as to communicate with vineyard senior management to understand variances. This role will define useful actionable metrics, to be tracked, analyzed, and discussed, and to assist with action plans that are derived from such analysis and discussion. This position will also help lead financial vineyard re-development decisions and be involved in possible property acquisitions or sales.
In summary, top priorities are:
- Analytics, reporting and metrics
- Asset Utilization
- Process Improvement
- Farming Budget support – lead the budget process for all farming, including preparation of supporting documents and backup as applicable for a bottoms-up budget. This will include tracking & reviewing of labor.
- Long-Term Development & Vineyard Planning – lead a cross-functional group to develop a company-wide long-term development strategy, which includes a plan to address our currently fallowed acres.
Monthly/Quarterly Analysis and Forecasting:
- Analyze and produce reports (including labor, acreage review and analysis) to assist farming management in understanding their variances to budget and forecast and work together to determine any go-forward actions required to get back on course, as applicable, as well as to determine changes to the next forecast.
- Working with Sr Director FP&A to develop metrics to drive improved efficiency and cost reduction
- Prepare periodic updated forecasts, working closely to ensure alignment with farming management.
Fixed Assets & Capital Expenditures:
- Support vineyard management in following capex process and procedures, act as liaison with Accounting to maintain accurate asset records, ensuring that an efficient process for disposals is put in place, maintained, and continuously improved
- Lead financial evaluation of equipment replacement programs, as well as ensure proper recording, follow-up for timely in-service dates and physical disposal
- Support periodic fixed asset audits
- Capital Expenditure Approval packages: assist with preparation, ROI calculations, approval tracking and budgeting for capex/depreciation and cash flow
- Asset Utilization: prepare ROI and ROIC calculations after asset implementation to assess achievement of expected returns on the original asset request
Financial/Accounting Guidance and Support:
- Consult with Business Managers on routing expenses to the appropriate GL, advise on reclass and accruals, BU & BP activation / deactivation, etc.
- Train and support new field office managers on all financial systems, compliance, and procedures
- Oversee Accounting functions in field offices, including accuracy of coding annual PO’s and BP/BU creation
Compliance and Other Reporting:
- Publish, maintain, and create Harvest & Labor Reports for all vineyards
Focus Areas/Best Practices & Continuous Improvement/Ad Hoc Requests
- Work with farming team on evaluating and changing workflows, processes & procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness, both locally as well as those in interaction with Accounting, Planning, etc.
- Promote and actively support implementation of best practices
- Provide system and integration support for projects such as implementation of a Capital Management Maintenance Software and integration of farming data into ARCGIS
- Act as liaison and vineyard management support to directly respond to ad hoc inquiries for information and reporting, or assist the local management in responding to such requests
This position will be responsible for the activities outlined; however, additional tasks may be assigned as the company’s priorities change.
Reports to Senior Director, FP&A
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
- 5 + years of FP&A or accounting experience, preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance, Business/Business Administration, or the equivalent in education/experience
- Strong understanding of accounting principles (GAAP), practices, and processes
- Experience building management reporting and in-depth analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Experience implanting process changes
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of cross functional teams
- Ability to build cross functional engagement and buy-in
- Advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables, SUMIFS and VLOOKUP
- Experience with and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong customer service orientation
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Versatility, flexibility, and willingness to work with dynamic priorities with a positive attitude
Additional skills, experience or achievements considered “a plus”:
- JDE and Adaptive Insights system experience
- Experience employing Lean tools
- Business experience at a winery, vineyard, or winery production facility