Jackson Family Enterprises is a family owned administrative services company based in Santa Rosa, California that oversees all of the wine production, marketing, and wine sales businesses owned and operated by the Jackson Family, including such well-known wine brands as Kendall-Jackson, La Crema, Murphy-Goode, Matanzas Creek, Cardinale, La Jota, Lokoya, Stonestreet, Vérité, Arrowood, Freemark Abbey, Cambria and Byron. The family owns thousands of acres of prime vineyard land in California, as well as wineries and vineyards in Australia, Chile, France and Italy, and numerous other wine industry businesses, including a barrel maker and distribution companies.
This position will report directly to the Company’s Senior Legal Counsel, will collaborate closely with the other attorneys in the legal department, and will provide direct legal advice to internal business partners on:
- Corporate entity compliance and corporate structuring;
- Contract preparation, review and approval across a diverse range of subject matters;
- Preparation, implementation and oversight of various corporate policies and procedures;
- Develop and maintain a solid working understanding of all other legal areas that impact the day-to-day operation of the Company to assist senior legal counsel in addressing and managing internal client needs, including in the areas of food and wine safety; alcohol beverage compliance; environmental law and compliance matters; human resource matters; and public policy and advocacy.
The prospective candidate will be an attorney with 5-10 years of experience practicing in California, with an emphasis on providing legal counsel to businesses, primarily in the corporate and transactional context. The ideal candidate would also have experience in, or some working familiarity with, alcoholic beverage law, the wine industry, or other regulated industries.
Additional candidate requirements include:
- A J.D. degree from a top tier law school and a member in good standing of the California bar;
- Experience working in-house, for a law firm of national reputation, or a regional firm with a reputation for high-quality legal work;
- Strong computer skills including MS office;
- Strong relationship building skills;
- Adherence to the highest ethical standards;
- Ability to maintain positive, constructive relationships and communications with internal team members, outside counsel, and business partners;
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Proficiency in various software applications and an ability to be self-sustaining in production of correspondence and documents.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described in the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. (Reasonable accommodation is defined as any modification or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits a qualified applicant or employee with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.)