The individual in this position of Laboratory Technician I will be an important member of the laboratory team. They will contribute to and maintain high standards for quality assurance and quality control, interface with other departments, such as Winemaking, Bottling, and the Cellar at various stages of production. This position requires attention and adherence to laboratory quality requirements, support of quality initiatives, teamwork, professionalism and demonstrated work ethic. The individual in this position will also be responsible for inspecting packaging materials against quality specifications, monitoring wine quality before and after bottling for legal compliance, and performing audits of wine quality and packaging quality during bottling. Depending on qualifications, additional duties may include the performance of microbiological analysis of wine and juice. This is a night shift position, however, the individual in this position must be willing to work variable shifts as required.
- Perform quality work in a fast‑paced, team‑oriented environment.
- Perform daily checks and calibrations for safety equipment and laboratory instrumentation.
- Participate in maintaining the cleanliness and organization of the laboratory.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment.
- Effectively perform routine laboratory analyses.
- Enter analytical results into the database.
- Obtain sample from barrels and tanks.
- Perform routine audits for bottling quality performance and sterility.
- Perform incoming inspections on packaging materials.
- Operate measuring tools for package integrity (calipers, balance, vacuum gauge, torque, extraction force, and seal tester).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Areas of Specialization:
- Knowledge of wine production.
- Possession of time‑management skills.
- Ability to communicate technically, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of HACCP, 5S, ISO9001, BRC, or ISO17025.
Candidates should have an educational background in science, such as: Enology, Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry or Food Science. The candidate should possess excellent verbal and written skills in English (Spanish language skills are a strong plus) and computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio a plus). Prior production experience in a wine lab environment is desirable. The availability to work overtime and flexibility to work varying shifts, is required. The candidate must be able to lift 35 lbs. and be able to stand for long periods of time.
Required to stand long periods of time, occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and able to lift and move up to 35 pounds of weight.