Winery: Cardinale / Jackson Family Wines: Oakville
Position Description: Laboratory Analyst
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Under the direction of the Lab Manager, the lab analyst will perform routine wine and juice analysis on both fermenting and finished wines, calibrate equipment daily as well as troubleshooting when needed, workflow management, data entry into online databases (LIMS and BIMS), train harvest interns, and will work on special projects. This position requires the ability to follow directions safely, accurately and in a timely manner. This is an excellent opportunity to work closely with winemaking and cellar teams as well as a variety of brands such as Cardinale, Freemark Abbey, Lokoya, La Jota, Mount Brave, Bootleg, Arrowood as well as custom crush clients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Follow lab S.O.P.’s as well as adhere to all winery safety protocols
- Daily set up and calibration of lab equipment as well as troubleshooting and preventative maintenance when needed
- Preparation of samples and standardization of reagents
- Effectively and efficiently perform routine wine analyses as well as communicating results to the appropriate teams
- Log all samples and results to online databases BIMS and LIMS
- Participate in training of harvest interns
- Perform all related harvest work such as monitoring tank and barrel fermentations
- Obtain accurate samples from tanks and barrels
- Other duties assigned by manager such as bench trials, filterability tests, cold/heat stabilization, etc.
- Responsible for quality control during bottling as well as inspecting glass prior to bottling
- Be able to communicate and work well with manager, other lab staff as well as other departments
- Participate in lab general housekeeping as well as ensuring the cleanliness of the lab
Degree or coursework in Enology, or other Science required, and previous winery/lab experience is preferred. This position requires excellent oral and written communication, computer, and organizational skills. Availability to work flexible shifts and overtime especially during harvest is required.
Required to stand for long periods of time, occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, and be able to lift up to 50 pounds of weight. Must successfully complete post-offer pre-employment physical.