The General Cellar Worker performs a variety of tasks in the cellar including, but not limited to the following: Sorting red fruit, pump overs, punch-downs, additions, white and red pressing, racking and transfer of wine and juice, stacking barrels, operating a forklift, filling barrels and topping wine.
essential duties and responsibilities
- Cleaning, sanitizing and sterilizing all winery equipment.
- Racking and pumping of juice and wine; moving hoses and equipment.
- Red fermentation management – pump overs, punch-downs, delestage.
- Additions to juice/wine.
- Filling barrels.
- Operating cellar equipment like pumps, presses etc.
- Forklift operation, moving barrels and case goods.
- Following and observing all safe cellar practices.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
background and experience
The ability to communicate effectively with good skills in reading, writing and basic math are required. Must be able to read and interpret documents. Individuals selected for this position must be reliable, punctual and have a strong work ethic. Harvest time demands up to six days a week of work including daily overtime.
This position requires the ability to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop and kneel, and be able to regularly lift and carry up to 50 pounds.