Under the direct supervision of the Tasting Room Manager, the Tasting Room Sales Associate is responsible for efficiently and effectively promoting the sale of wine, and acquiring new wine club members on a daily basis. The Tasting Room Sales Associate is the face of Matanzas Creek Winery in Bennett Valley. The ideal candidate is an independent self-starter that is motivated by sales, hospitality and building relationships with our consumers. Your primary responsibility is to sell limited production Matanzas Creek Wines to our loyal customers – at the tasting room bar, at events or over the phone or by email (at the direction of the Tasting Room and DTC Manager). You will also be focused on building and maintaining strong relationships with our guests and acting as a driving force in team wine sales and wine club conversion.
Leading candidates will consistently demonstrate outstanding sales ability, customer service skills, poise and tact in working with the public. Candidates will also have a proven ability to effectively and appropriately communicate with diverse client group and will be driven to provide consumers with a meaningful wine tasting and brand experience. All efforts are focused on attaining monthly sales and acquisition goals while providing gracious hospitality to consumers and trade.
- Utilize sales skills and proficiency to understand nuances, sales cues and needs of each guest that you host, allowing for customized experiences and enhanced interactions, ultimately leading to a more energized and loyal customer base.
- Represent the highest level of expertise available in the wine industry with an emphasis on customer service, wine education and gracious hospitality.
- Is knowledgeable about wines, accurately describes wines, wine making techniques, winery history, appellations, and unique aspects of wines.
- Effectively communicates with guests about Matanzas Creek and its wines in person at the tasting room, over the phone and via email, translating to wine sales and wine club acquisition and retention.
- Delivers elevated customer experiences in a manner that is well organized, and consistent with the objectives of the DTC team.
- Prepare and maintain the Tasting Room to ensure that every visitor has an amazing wine country experience.
- Represent Matanzas Creek at special tasting experiences both on and offsite, including those in evenings.
- Takes the initiative for self-development in the areas of our wines, our brands, general hospitality, and for acquiring effective sales techniques and acumen.
- Work as part of a team to maintain Tasting Room flow and operation – including routine purchasing transactions, cash register operations, washing and polishing glassware, assists with display and pricing of retail items.
- Facilitate shipping of wine to customers while adhering to all compliance and regulatory requirements. Maintains knowledge of current and new legal issues pertaining to inter-state shipping of wine to consumers and how they impact day-to-day wine shipments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education:
- Ability to work and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while maintaining a high level of detail orientation.
- Consistently demonstrates outstanding customer service skills and poise and tact in working with the public.
- Flexible, effective with diverse clientele, professional at all times. Can manage constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Must have strong initiative and work ethic while also acting as a team player. Shows commitment to excellence and high standards in work product.
- Strong communication skills are required with experience in person, over email, on the phone and with social media a plus
- Possesses strong computer savvy including MS Word and Excel proficiency.
- Is passionate about wines, and continually strives to learn more about Matanzas Creek wines and the world of wine.
- One to three years prior relevant wine or luxury good sales.
- College course work, degree and/or equivalent experience in business/retail management and hospitality preferred.
- Must be fluent in English.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Possesses professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Ability to lift and move 50 pounds repeatedly.
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to effectively stock wine, set-up and break down procedures, equipment, etc., and be able to utilize dolly cart and assist in moving heavy objects.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow written and verbal instructions.