This is a hands-on leadership position that focuses on strategy, delivery and ongoing development of a stable, secure, and scalable business intelligence environment. This leader will identify new opportunities within the company to drive and promote a more analytic and data based decision making culture. The ideal candidate thrives at delivering solutions to complex data problems and has an affinity for data and analytics in support of product, customer and business decisions. This role will also serve as a technical lead to Business Intelligence team members and act as a liaison to internal business data analysts to promote accelerated self-service analytics delivery.
- Builds partnerships and collaborates cross functionally with business executives, functional managers and end users.
- Leads and evolve next generation data strategy to align with corporate objectives/goals including the organization and technology to support the delivery of the strategy.
- Evolves and aligns the data warehouse and business intelligence technology tools to deliver against the strategy.
- Builds and promotes an analytics delivery model to include structured and unstructured analytic capability.
- Drives adoption and use of new self-service BI analytic tools through evangelizing informally in combination with formal training and change management methods.
- Maintains solid understanding of BI market trends including data lakes, big data architecture, cloud based platforms and how these apply to our organization.
- Supports the evolution of the company’s existing data architecture toward a modern big data platform that can scale to support modern data ingestion techniques and accelerated self-serve analytics and data science.
- Identifies new kinds, types and sources of data to drive business innovation throughout the organization. Defines processes for the effective, integrated introduction of new data.
- Comfortable working with board members, the CEO, and other C-level executives to establish vision, and to create a culture that treats data as a cross-corporate asset.
- Scopes, plans, and prioritizes multiple projects and objectives in a fast-paced environment and deliver quality results.
- Manages the portfolio of data and analytics projects.
- Identifies, leads, designs and implements required changes to interfaces, data warehouse and business intelligence applications to support the new initiative.
- Directs, organizes, and leads development teams in the design, code, test, and document for all data warehouse and business intelligence solutions.
- Promotes best practices and procedures to ensure the optimal performance, stability and security of the data warehouse and business intelligence systems.
- Provides oversight for all activities related to master data management, data cleansing, data quality and data consolidation using standard data modeling methodologies and processes.
- Establishes technical standards and best practices and ensure compliance in relational database design, SQL programming, and ETL development activities.
- Effectively translates technical information into business language easily understood by business users, managers, and key stakeholders.
- Fosters excellent vendor relationships by continuously communicating goals, business vision, and expectations.
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION:
- Can potentially include but not limited to: Business Analysts, Business Intelligence Developers, Data Analysts/Scientists, Database Architect, ETL Developers, Administrators and/or Engineers
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) from four-year college or university, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience managing Information Technology implementations and support, including 5-7 years managing a Business Intelligence environment including team members of Analysts, Developers, Engineers and/or Architects.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with ability to effectively communicate within all levels of the organization.
- Excellent facilitation skills including extensive experience working in a team environment.
- Strong business acumen in the areas of sales, finance and production within a manufacturing and/or retail company.
- Proven experience implementing multiple large business software applications (full cycle implementations from strategy, build, go-live to ongoing support).
- Experience implementing and supporting both off the shelf and custom-built solutions.
- Demonstrated experience managing large project budgets exceeding $500K including significant use and management of outsourced resources.
- Data architecture and modeling experience, both relational and multidimensional using SSIS and/or SAP Data Services.
- Demonstrated experience with MS SQL Server environments.
- Proven experience creating, testing and delivering complex reporting cubes to support end-user designed dashboards and reports.
- Expert level experience writing SQL statements, stored procedures and engineering multidimensional relational databases.
- Experience working in and managing cloud based infrastructure service environments in AWS, Azure or similar.
- Ability to manage and direct staff including hiring, performance management, setting goals, prioritizing workflow, etc.
- Wine and Spirits industry experience preferred.
- Experience implementing and managing modern big data platforms preferred.
- Experience with modern data science tools including Python, Scala, R, Java preferred.
- JD Edwards, Business Objects, Crystal, Microsoft Power BI, Tableau experience preferred.