Under the general direction of the Facility Winemaker, this position is responsible for managing all cellar operations at Stonestreet Winery, including winery harvest activities, aging, and bottling. The Cellarmaster will be responsible for regular and on-going compliance and safety training and will manage all cellar personnel and logistic activities while meeting and exceeding wine and juice quality standards as directed by the Winemaking staff.
- Directs Cellar staff in the quality, cost efficient processing of fruit during harvest, from receipt of grapes through barreling or shipping of juice/wine.
- Responsible for staffing, hiring, promotion, employee development and performance evaluations, counseling and disciplining all Cellar personnel.
- Responsible for Cellar Safety Program and adherence to all company safety standards. Ensures a safe working environment and that all personnel are safety trained and conscientious.
- Coordinate with other departments for short and long term production scheduling.
- Works closely with Lab to ensure quality winemaking standards.
- Responsible for the maintenance of wines in the Stainless and Barrel Cellars, complying with winemaking directions.
- Responsible for organizing shipping, receipt, inspection, routine maintenance and upkeep of barrels
- Assures all wine shipments into and out of the winery are handled efficiently and in a quality manner.
- Assures all cellar personnel execute work orders in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assures all barrel movements are promptly and accurately scanned and input into BIMS.
- Coordinates mobile bottling activities with Lab and Winemaking teams, particularly in the areas of staffing, training, packaging inventory and QC, wine preparation, and finished case goods shipment
- Works with Maintenance Department to ensure all winery deficiencies are reported to Maintenance on work orders and, if necessary, Maintenance is provided assistance to complete repair tasks.
- Develops and manages cellar budget as delegated by General Manager
- Working with Winemaking team according to company guidelines, maintains accurate inventory records, performing inventories of wines on a monthly basis.
- Maintain supplies and equipment inventories necessary for operations
- Will oversee cellar staff records input to BIMS system.
- Understands regulatory and compliance issues, permits; has knowledge and ability to work with vendors on various projects that may occur.
- Leads, coordinates special cellar projects such as expansion, equipment installations, repairs, replacements.
- Develops and refines standard operating procedures in coordination with Winemaking team
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION:
- Skilled and General Cellar positions
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
- Five to eight years cellar production experience, large barrel and stainless cellars experience required.
- Proven supervisory experience.
- Intermediate Word/Excel skills.
- Position requires a motivated individual who has strong quality orientation, is organized, detail-oriented and able to work independently and as a leader of a successful Cellar team.
- People skills that will assure the cellar team works together to accomplish the company’s goals are desired.
- Must have flexibility and willingness to work schedules required by cellar production demands.