General Description of Duties:
Under the general direction of the CellarMaster, the Foreman will direct activities for cellar crew and perform the necessary work to achieve facility production needs. This will include winery harvest activities as assigned to and not limited to barrel operations only.
- Motivate, train and develop staff.
- Assure safe working environment by following winery’s safety and security procedures. Train and develop cellar crew to follow and maintain safety rules and procedures.
- Ensure operations are performed in timely and accurate manner and in accordance to SOP and work order instructions. Direct daily work flow to achieve high production standards.
- Understand and accommodate the diversity of production standards.
- Organize and distribute work orders to cellar crew and supervise operation’s progress.
- Track all scanner information to balance work orders and update location charts.
- Assures that all barrel movements are promptly and accurately scanned and processed.
- Ability to perform all aspects of barrel operations, including forklift operation.
- Must be able to train and coach new hires in English and Spanish for yearly harvest operations.
- Coordinates daily cellar activities to include supervision and training of cellar crew.
- Oversees cellar functions such as: sanitation, barrel preparation, equipment and general maintenance.
- Oversees all forklift operations.
- Provides instruction, training, and assistance to cellar staff.
- Monitors performance of cellar staff.
- Maintains a clean, safe and effective work environment at all times.
- Communicates with other departments and wineries.
- Contacts vendors to keep cellar supplies at sufficient levels.
- Reads and interprets lab analysis.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by Cellarmaster and Winemaking Staff.
- Work with Maintenance Department to ensure all winery deficiencies are reported and if necessary provide assistance to facilitate and complete repairs.
- Maintain supplies and equipment inventories required for operations. Maintain accurate inventory records on tanks and in barrel cellar. Other duties as assigned by CellarMaster or Winemaker.
- Can identify defects or problems in wine and procedures.
- Can identify equipment in need of maintenance.
- Can prioritize the time and workflow of a team.
- Can delegate tasks within a team.
- Can give safety training tailgate meetings.
- Can operate all winery equipment and make adjustments as needed to optimize efficiency of equipment.
- General understanding of the winemaking process.
- Basic computer skills: Word, Excel….
- Can train others in all cellar skills.
- Understands the impact of each cellar operation.
- Can use BIMS
- Can make vendor contacts for purpose of supplies.
- Accountable for the procedures to be followed in the cellar.
- Can thoroughly investigate safety accidents.
- Can train others in leadership skills.
- Can resolve team issues (conflict).
- Is a forward thinker, can set goals for him or herself and the cellar in general.
Permanent full-time (M-F) hourly position with full benefits.
Barrel Crew, Seasonal Harvest Hires
Background and Experience:
Requires a minimum of high school diploma with 3-5 years of previous experience working in an l winery environment, supervisory skills are required. Must be well organized, detail oriented and possess excellent people skills. Intermediate computer skills are also required. Ability to work independently and in a team environment. Must be physically able to lift 50 pounds and work safely around equipment, electrical outlets and chemicals. Must be able to work standing up and walking on concrete surfaces for extended periods of time. Must be willing to work all shifts including overtime, particularly during harvest.
All applicants must pass a physical and drug test before beginning work or receiving an offer of employment. Refusal to submit to testing will result in disqualification of further employment consideration.