Jackson Family Wines is excited to announce the launch of a new tasting room in Anderson Valley featuring our Maggy Hawk wines.
Under the direction of Leadership, the Assistant Estate Manager is responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations of the Tasting Room. This position is responsible for managing tastings and hospitality programs, facilitating the sales of wine both on-site, email and over the phone; operating the Tasting Room and grounds in a safe and efficient manner, and executing policies and procedures set forth by senior management. All efforts are focused on attaining monthly sales and Wine Club recruitment goals, providing gracious hospitality to consumers and trade, and contributing to a rewarding work environment for Tasting Room staff.
- Ensure that each visitor enjoys their experience and leaves with a very high impression of our winery and wines.
- Create and grow a culture of sales excellence. Work to improve all aspects of sales acumen and exceed sales goals both on-property and over the phone.
- Handle all aspects of Tasting Room staff scheduling, including staff calendar (to be produced at least 2 weeks prior to the next month), emergency calls and replacements. Works with leadership to ensure staffing is in line with monthly staff budget allowances.
- Manages and trains tasting room staff.
- Oversees daily staff in the Tasting Room to ensure proper hospitality and service is provided to all customers and that company procedures are employed in all sales and customer service transactions. Works with the Estate Director to ensure sales are in line with revenue and allocation goals.
- Be actively involved in the hiring, termination, advancement, promotion and other change of status of employees.
- Provides clear, on-going communication to tasting room staff providing consistent and timely direction and coaching, establishing specific and clearly communicated performance goals and delivering meaningful regular performance reviews.
- Possess commanding knowledge of POS system, including ability to effectively perform opening and closing procedures.
- Works on Tasting Room floor; serves as a Tasting Room host, pouring wines and assisting in all aspects of consumer tours, tastings, and hospitality.
- Effectively sells wine and Allocations in the Tasting Room and at consumer events.
- Acquires commanding knowledge of wines, vineyards, winemaking, appellations, winery, and sense of place.
- Works with the Marketing Team to ensure all aspects of brand message, communication, talking points, etc., are consistent between Wholesale and Tasting Room channels.
- Works with leadership to ensure that all staff are updated with all current wine and marketplace information including distributor information, market wine pricing, and new release timing.
- Ensure estate inventory is kept organized and vintages are managed properly.
- Ensures correct and timely shipping of wine to customers. Maintains current knowledge of new legal issues pertaining to inter-state shipping of wine to consumers. Regularly educates staff on related subjects as well as assists with making certain that all Tasting Room POS materials are current with legal parameters.
- Represents winery at promotional off-site tastings for local B&B’s, Inns and non-profit organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- College degree in business/retail management, hospitality or wine marketing, or equivalent experience strongly preferred.
- Three to five years of prior relevant retail tasting room and consumer direct sales experience required.
- Must have demonstrated sales ability and excellent organizational and customer service skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word required. Proficiency in J.D. Edwards software, POS, and working with reservation software a plus.
- The ability to work and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a high level of detail is required.
- Must be capable of working independently and can take initiative and be self-directed.
- Commanding public speaking skills a plus.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Can stand and sit for long periods of time.
- Must be available to work flexible schedule including weekends.