Under the direction of the Estate Manager, the Brewer-Clifton Lompoc Assistant Estate Manager is responsible for managing tastings and hospitality programs, facilitating the sales of wine both on-site as over the phone, operating the Tasting Room and grounds in a safe and efficient manner, and executing policies and procedures set forth by senior management. All efforts are focused on attaining monthly sales and Wine Club recruitment goals, providing gracious hospitality to consumers and trade, and contributing to a rewarding work environment.
- Leads the team to ensure that each visitor enjoys their experience and leaves with a very high impression of our winery and wines.
- Create and lead a culture of sales excellence. Work to improve each team members sales acumen and exceed sales goals both on-property and over the phone.
- Develop opportunities to generate leads, sell wine and recruit new members to the wine club.
- Host elevated VIP and by appointment tasting experiences for top buyers.
- Contact individuals by telephone and email to solicit sales of wine, related products, and events.
- Ensure legal compliance with inter-state shipping regulations and restrictions for all direct sales orders.
- Respond to consumer requests, complaints and identify areas of improvement.
- Oversee and develop direct sales program contacting customers by telephone and email to solicit sales of wine and related products
- Partner with Wine Club Manager to develop and implement tactics to improve member retention and slow attrition rates.
- Works with leadership to ensure sales are in line with revenue and Wine Club membership goals.
- Be actively involved in the hiring, termination, advancement, promotion and other change of status of employees, as needed.
- Possess commanding knowledge of POS system, including ability to effectively perform opening and closing procedures.
- Works on Tasting Room floor; serves as a Tasting Room host, pouring wines and assisting in all aspects of consumer tours, tastings, and hospitality.
- Effectively sells wine and Wine Club memberships in the Tasting Room and at consumer events.
- Acquires commanding knowledge of wines, vineyards, winemaking, appellations, winery, and sense of place.
- Works with Marketing Team to ensure all aspects of brand message, communication, talking points, etc., are consistent between Wholesale and Tasting Room channels.
- Ensure estate inventory is kept organized and vintages are managed properly.
- Ensures correct and timely shipping of wine to customers. Maintains current knowledge of new legal issues pertaining to inter-state shipping of wine to consumers.
- Represents winery at promotional off-site tastings for local B&B’s, Inns and non-profit organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- College degree in business/retail management, hospitality or wine marketing, or equivalent experience strongly preferred.
- Three to five years of prior relevant retail tasting room and consumer direct sales experience required.
- Has a proven track record in direct sales and leading and growing the business.
- Must have demonstrated sales ability and excellent organizational and customer service skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word required. Proficiency in J.D. Edwards software, POS, and working with reservation software a plus.
- The ability to work and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a high level of detail is required.
- Must be capable of working independently and can take initiative and be self-directed.
- Commanding public speaking skills a plus.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Can stand and sit for long periods of time.
- Must be available to work flexible schedule including weekends.