Under the general direction of the Winery Production Manager, this position is responsible for managing cellar operations, including winery harvest activities, aging, and bottling. The Assistant Cellarmaster will be responsible for regular and on-going compliance and safety training and will manage cellar personnel and logistic activities while meeting and exceeding wine and juice quality standards as directed by the Winemaking staff.
- Assists Production Manager with directing cellar staff in the quality, cost efficient processing of fruit during harvest, from receipt of grapes through barreling or shipping of juice/wine.
- Assists Production Manager with staffing, hiring, promotion, employee development and performance evaluations, counseling and disciplining cellar personnel.
- Responsible for Cellar Safety Program and adherence to all company safety standards. Ensures a safe working environment and that all personnel are safety trained and conscientious.
- Coordinate with other departments for short and long-term production scheduling.
- Works closely with Lab to ensure quality winemaking standards.
- Under the direction of Production Manager and Winemaking team is responsible for the maintenance of wines in the Stainless and Barrel Cellars, and complying with winemaking directions.
- Responsible for organizing shipping, receipt, inspection, routine maintenance and upkeep of barrels
- Assures all wine shipments into and out of the winery are handled efficiently and in a quality manner.
- Assures all cellar personnel execute work orders in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assures all barrel movements are promptly and accurately scanned and input into BIMS.
- Assists Production Manager Coordinating mobile bottling activities with Lab and Winemaking teams, particularly in the areas of staffing, training, packaging inventory and QC, wine preparation, and finished case goods shipment
- Assists Production Manager and Maintenance Department to ensure all winery deficiencies are reported to Maintenance on work orders and, if necessary, Maintenance is provided assistance to complete repair tasks.
- Assists Production Manager with developing and managing cellar budget as delegated by General Manager.
- Working with Winemaking team according to company guidelines, maintains accurate inventory records, performing inventories of wines monthly.
- Maintain supplies and equipment inventories necessary for operations
- Will oversee cellar staff records input to BIMS Web system.
- Understands regulatory and compliance issues, permits; has knowledge and ability to work with vendors on various projects that may occur.
- Assists Production Manager with the coordination of special cellar projects such as expansion, equipment installations, repairs, replacements.
- Assists Production Manager and the Winemaking team with the Development and refinement of standard operating procedures in coordination with Winemaking team
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION:
- Skilled and General Cellar positions
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
- Five to eight years cellar production experience, large barrel and stainless cellars experience required.
- Proven supervisory experience.
- Intermediate Word/Excel skills.
- Position requires a motivated individual who has strong quality orientation, is organized, detail-oriented and able to work independently and as a leader of a successful Cellar team.
- People skills that will assure the cellar team works together to accomplish the company’s goals are desired.
- Must have flexibility and willingness to work schedules required by cellar production demands.