TITLE: Facility Winemaker, Lakeport Winery
REPORTS TO: General Manager
LOCATION: Lakeport, CA
Under general direction, this position will have responsibility for managing all day-to-day winemaking operations at Lakeport Winery in Lakeport, CA.
- Oversee daily cellar operations to meet production requirements and schedules, in coordination with the Brand Winemaker(s).
- Formulate monthly, weekly, and daily work schedules for integration with other winemakers.
- Assume responsibility for quality control oversight of both lab and cellar functions.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively oversee barrels dedicated to fermentation, aging, and preparation of wines for bottling.
- Utilize effective people management and leadership skills to lead, develop, and train employees.
- Participate in the blending decisions at the winery.
- Assist Cellarmaster with training and supervision of harvest personnel.
- Supervise data entry personnel and seasonal winemaking staff.
- Determine juice additions and treatments.
- Conduct operation and coordination of shipping and receiving.
- Utilize strong work ethic, detail orientation skills, and ability to work independently to achieve winemaking objectives.
- Design and implement experimental lots and coordinate lab analysis to substantiate results.
- Collaborate with marketing and production staff on winemaking projects in development.
- Participate in periodic PR, sales, and marketing functions, both at the winery and on the road.
- Work on ongoing development of winemaking procedures.
- Effectively coordinate winery harvest activities while attending to vineyard and grape progress gained through frequent vineyard visits.
Background/Experience: This position requires a BS degree in Enology, Fermentation Science or a related major and a minimum of five years’ of quality winemaking experience. Prior supervisory experience is preferred. Must possess effective interpersonal and communication skills. Must be detail oriented, have a strong work ethic and have the ability to work independently. Must be available to work flexible hours as required to achieve the location and department winemaking objectives. Must possess effective people management and leadership skills in order to lead, train and develop subordinates. Must be computer literate and have strong skills in MS Word and Excel.