TITLE: Winemaker, Cambria Winery and Vineyard
REPORTS TO: General Manager
LOCATION: Santa Maria, CA
General Description of Duties:
Under general direction, responsible for the entire winemaking operation and quality assurance program for all brands produced by the Cambria facility and vineyards. In coordination with the Vineyard Manager, directs and monitors all viticultural developments and practices and grape harvesting on Estate properties. Manages through direct staff and in coordination with other departmental managers to ensure the quality of our Estate brands in all aspects of winemaking.
- In coordination with the Vineyard Manager, directs all viticultural developments, farming and harvesting practices to insure the highest quality.
- Directs all wine production and lab operations including but not limited to wine fermentation, blending, stabilization, bottling and storage.
- Designs and implements technical and research programs.
- Develops procedural and quality control manuals.
- Arranges and participates in regular sensory evaluation trials.
- Assists and coordinates efforts with the various company winemakers.
- Participates in development of planned winery facilities, assuring efficient, high-quality operations.
- Make recommendations regarding winemaking equipment purchases.
- Review winery operation and safety guidelines as they relate to industry regulations, trends and new technology.
- Prepares short and long-term production plans, grape and bulk wine requirements.
- Prepares annual operating and capital expense budgets.
- Responsible for creating, implementing and monitoring all production plans and budgets.
- Spokesperson for the winery during market visits, media relations programs and hospitality events.
- Special projects.
Permanent full-time salaried position with full benefits.
Background and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Enology, Fermentation Science, Viticulture or related field required, MS desirable. Six to ten years of wine production experience required, Chardonnay and Pinot varietals. Strong supervisory, communications, organizational and budgetary skills required. Strong computer literacy preferred.