The Wine & Grape Supply Manager has overall responsibility for the JFW grape and wine supply planning process. The role is an integral part of the company’s monthly S&OP process. They are responsible for the development of a multi-year sourcing strategy that balances grape supply & demand and achieves desired cost targets. This role will leverage data and statistical analysis to support decision-making for key supply issues.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
Supply & Demand Planning:
- Collaborate with Farming/Grower Relations to develop quarterly reporting on the long-term (five vintage) strategic grape sourcing plan by district and AVA to feed to demand and overlay with capacity.
- Provide recommendations to Winemaking and Winegrowing Leadership for short-term wine supply decisions that highlight best and highest intended use.
- Develop strategies to Balance Supply & Demand on key grape varietals
- Lead the Wine & Grape Supply Review meeting of JFW’s monthly S&OP process. Identify supply gaps and develop gap closing strategy recommendations.
- Determine product level supply requirements for current and future harvest years
- Work closely with Finance to determine target costs for each product. Embed financial metrics into grape planning process.
- Develop grape vs bulk supply strategy analysis
- Lead grape requirements planning process. Provide sourcing requirements to the grower relations department with target costs.
- Partner with Finance to develop Long Range Supply Planning strategies that incorporate vineyard development, facility master planning and capex deployment to meet the business’s long term growth requirements.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts to improve our supply planning systems and processes. Partner with key stakeholders to re-think current supply management systems, processes and analytic output to meet the enterprise’s growth strategy as well as support recent and future acquisitions
- Develop reports and monitor critical KPIs related to supply planning.
Harvest Year Planning:
- Fully understand winery crush, ferment and storage capacities.
- Develop facility harvest allocation plan
- Oversee the vineyard production plan process. Ensure crop estimates are updated and analyze the impact of significant fluctuations
- Manage vineyard allocations process and collaborate with all stakeholders to ensure allocations meet best intended use
- Conduct analysis to balance bulk wine across all products
- Provide recommendations to buy/sell bulk wine to balance supply
- Negotiate all JFW bulk wine transactions
- Build relationships with various key brokers and bulk wine suppliers
- Develop an understanding of the bulk wine market dynamics
- Forecast & mitigate bulk wine supply risks
- Manage all aspects of bulk wine transactions
- Minimum 5+ years progressive experience in the wine industry in production planning roles.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA a plus
- Deep statistical background and strong analytical skills
- Understanding of grape/wine production planning process
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work with various disciplines and stakeholders
- Experience of participating in cross-functional change projects
- Objectively challenges established practice to stimulate alternative thinking
- Experience presenting to senior business leaders