The SENIOR PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER will oversee the day-to-day planning and execution of all internal and external communications activities in alignment with overall business strategy and objectives. The ideal candidate will possess outstanding organizational and communication skills with an expertise in global media relations and full understanding and appreciation of the wine industry. This position includes wineries both domestic and international and will report directly to the SVP, International Marketing.
- Develop and execute annual domestic and international public relations plan for priority wineries. Work closely with consumer, business and trade media to garner positive media coverage, execute media interviews, host media and ensure timely media pitching and distribution of press materials.
- Handle all media inquiries while fielding questions and developing interview opportunities for key spokespeople.
- Generate publicity for the introduction of new products, vintage releases and winery announcements via integrated public relations campaigns.
- Develop key messaging for winemakers and executives to serve effectively as company spokespersons.
- Research, organize and manage wine submissions for all media opportunities, competitions and festivals.
- Oversees charitable contributions and related philanthropic endeavors.
- Research, develop and maintain targeted media lists.
- Manage outside agencies, internal staff and freelancers as needed to accomplish the public relations objectives for respective wineries.
- Work with marketing team to develop and manage communication strategies.
- Work with digital communications team to align social media programs and with public relations strategies.
- Develop internal communication strategies and activities that support the company’s major initiatives, organizational changes and vision, mission and values. This includes developing content for the company’s newsletter and other internal communications channels.
- Manage crisis communications on issues that could negatively impact wineries.
- Monitor emerging media developments, special interest groups, events and causes to respond as needed and minimize negative exposure for the company its wineries.
- Support and attend special events to represent key wineries and engage with media.
- Provide thoughtful, relevant and accurate topical research on key wine issues, business needs or other program ideas that can contribute to meaningful results in communications planning and programs.
- Develop measurable plan that support business objectives. Provide monthly reporting on all PR activities, including acclaim, outreach, submissions, etc.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in public relations. Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field is required.
- Comprehensive understanding and appreciation of the wine industry, particularly the luxury sector.
- Proven track record of working effectively with consumer, business and trade media and other wine industry influencers is required.
- Experience generating positive media coverage, pitching media, writing press releases and other materials and has established media contacts.
- Experience working with press in international markets, specifically the UK, France, Italy, China, Japan and Canada.
- Ability to provide effective counsel and coaching on communications issues to executives, managers and colleagues.
- Strong organizational, time management and project prioritization skills with the ability to handle a multitude of projects and constantly changing priorities.
- Ability to prioritize, juggle multiple priorities, and meet deadlines while still delivering high quality work.
- Results-oriented, with the ability to deliver results that impact business performance.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications, excellent attention to detail and proofing skills.
- Ability to effectively manage outside agencies in the building and execution of strategic communications programs that deliver results on time and on budget.
- Strong public speaking and presenting skills.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours as needed, i.e. weekends, nights or holidays.
- Hands-on knowledge of how wine brands work on social media, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs: Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Ability to sit/stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow written and verbal instructions.
- International and domestic travel required >30%.