Corsair Winery – McMinnville, OR
Our new, state of the art Jackson Family Winery is located in the heart of Oregon’s Willamette Valley, McMinnville. We are a mid-sized winery specializing in the production of premium Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, and Chardonnay from some of the most premier vineyard sites in Oregon.
Under the direct supervision of the winemaking staff, the successful candidate will meet the following requirements and possess the leadership and drive to assist in supervising temporary employees during peak season. If you are a hardworking, energetic, fun-loving wine enthusiast that enjoys working in a team environment, we look forward to hearing from you.
The Laboratory Supervisor will interface with other departments, such as Winemaking, Bottling, and the Cellar at various stages of production. This position requires attention and adherence to laboratory quality requirements, support of quality initiatives, teamwork, professionalism and demonstrated work ethic. The person who fills this position will work with Management to seek out opportunities for continuous improvement and gained efficiencies. This individual will possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and will need to communicate effectively with their team, their manager, and other departments. They will be responsible for strategically managing the laboratory workload, scheduling their direct reports to accommodate production needs, and staying informed of the goals, constraints and changes regarding production. They will be responsible for motivating their team for success and will provide a leadership style that will encourage professionalism, development and foster team spirit within the department.
- Provide laboratory support and analysis approximately 80% and supervisory support 20%
- Oversee and proactively advance the training of all laboratory personnel.
- Schedule staffing to support Production
- Implement SOPs
- Provide reports as requested by manager on department metrics
- Effectively communicate quality issues with Management
- Effectively support the LIMS initiative
- Assist other departments as assigned on special projects, performing testing, and providing reports
- Support and drive updates and revisions to department documents
- Negotiate the purchasing of supplies and equipment for all laboratories.
- Coordinate and conduct the research of new equipment and analysis.
- Ensure that all laboratories are complying with local, state and federal regulations.
Desired Areas of Specialization:
- Knowledge of wine production.
- Possession of time‑management skills.
- Ability to communicate technically, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge and experience with PCR
- Knowledge and experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
- Knowledge of HACCP, 5S, ISO9001, BRC, or ISO17025.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of a Bachelor’s in Chemistry, Microbiology or Food Science, 5 or more years’ experience, preferably in a winery or laboratory, knowledge of wine quality, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, excellent observation and analytical skills, ability to prioritize and delegate, and strong computer skills. Previous experience in managing people is a plus.
Required to stand long periods of time, occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and able to lift and move up to 35 pounds of weight.