Under the general direction of and the direct supervision of the Tasting Room Manager, the Tasting Room Associate is responsible for efficiently and effectively promoting the sale of wine and non-wine products through customer service and providing consumers with a meaningful wine tasting and experience. All efforts are focused on attaining monthly sales goals while providing gracious hospitality to consumers and trade.
- Greets all visitors to the Tasting Room, pours wines for tasting, discusses wine and responds to customer questions as appropriate.
- Ensures that every visitor enjoys their wine tasting experience and leaves with a very high impression of our wines.
- Is knowledgeable about wines, accurately describes wines, winemaking techniques, winery history, appellations, and unique aspects of wines.
- Effectively promotes and sells wine and Wine Club memberships to customers.
- Handles routine purchasing transactions, including operating cash register, accounting of daily sales, and processing returns and discounts.
- Takes the initiative for self-development in the areas of our wines, our brands, general hospitality, and for acquiring effective sales techniques and acumen.
- Participates in company-sponsored wine educational and development opportunities.
- Maintains knowledge of current and new legal issues pertaining to inter-state shipping of wine to consumers and how they impact day-to-day wine shipments.
- Working with shipping department, facilitates shipping of wine to customers and meets all compliance and regulatory requirements of wine shipments.
- Participates and assists with special hospitality events that occur at the winery.
- Washes and polishes glassware for Tasting Room.
- Assists with display and pricing of retail items and wines as needed.
- Represents winery at outside functions as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Essential Skills, Experience, and Education:
- Shows commitment to excellence and high standards in work product.
- Possesses or can develop solid knowledge of wines and winemaking processes.
- Consistently demonstrates outstanding customer service skills and poise and tact in working with the public.
- Proven ability to effectively and appropriately communicate with diverse client group.
- Possesses professional appearance and demeanor.
- Is flexible, can manage constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Fluent in English
- Demonstrates ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, and percentages.
- Strong computer proficiency and data entry experience, basic to intermediate knowledge of Word and Excel preferred.
- Possesses one to two years prior related experience.
- Has high school diploma or GED; two to four year college degree preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to work weekends and flexible schedules
- Ability to lift and move 50 pounds repeatedly.
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to effectively stock wine, set-up and break down procedures, equipment, etc., and be able to utilize dolly cart and assist in moving heavy objects.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow written and verbal instructions.