The Communications Manager proactively plans and executes integrated communications programs, including public relations, corporate communications, employee engagement and social media for select wineries within the Jackson Family Wines portfolio. This position also contributes to the day-to-day coordination of outside agencies and/or consultants.
The position reports to the Director of Communications and works daily with other communications staff, as well as the brand marketing team and direct to consumer team, among others.
- Working closely with brand marketing and digital communications partners, proactively develop strategic plans that generate traditional media coverage, social engagement, consumer buzz and sales.
- Research, create, implement and measure comprehensive public relations and communications initiatives that support JFW’s diverse wineries.
- Provide creative perspective along with thoughtful, relevant and accurate topical research on key wine issues, business needs or other program ideas that can contribute to meaningful results in communications planning and programs.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with key wine and consumer/lifestyle media, and leverage to garner coverage in wine verticals, as well as consumer and business media.
- Develop diverse materials including news releases, by-lined articles, internal and external presentations, talking points and other collateral as needed.
- Respond in a timely and concise manner to reactive requests for information, press kits, labels and story/interview queries, and occasionally host wine critics, trade and consumer press.
- Prepare winemaking teams and executives for media interviews, including coaching and key message development.
- Work with the digital communications team to build cohesive programs and develop compelling content for social media.
- Support special events, including on evenings and over weekends as required, to represent key wine brands, pour at events, and engage with media and trade.
- Provide support for occasional corporate communications projects.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Business, Marketing or similar field.
- 5-7 years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing or similar business role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated expertise as a writer for internal/external publication, knowledge of AP style and other editorial best practices preferred. Ability to write in various voices to appeal to diverse audiences and differentiate brand personalities.
- Wine industry experience required, with additional consumer/CPG or agency experience preferred. Existing relationships with wine, food, hospitality and travel writers a plus.
- Confident and demonstrated ability to work with various levels of management including the business’s senior leadership.
- Excellent interpersonal, decision-making, planning, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Outlook, Powerpoint and Excel).
- Hands-on knowledge of how brands work in social media, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to travel, including overnight stays and air travel, up to 20% time.